Thank you flashers (and bouncers)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 28, 2009 in People
So, while I haven't had much to contribute, I've been following the post-Neil-workshop-threads with great interest.

Well, SOMETHING must be getting through to me. These are both ON camera, hotshoe flash. B&W because I liked it, but very little post work done except that involved in the conversion - no significant exposure-adjustment work and absolutely zero dodging/burning on either of them.

Problem:
- slight backlight of light leaking through blinds
- brim of hat casting nasty shadow if light was bounced off ceiling
- doorway+dark bookcase to my right making bouncing off wall unsuccessful.

725169760_H55Jo-L.jpg

Solution:
Shiny plastic envelope on sofa seat (she was sitting on back of sofa). Point flash head DOWN at it and...

725169800_JtgWo-M.jpg

I know that light from underneath is normally a no-no, but on this occasion, it fixed all the lighting problems I was having! So thanks Randy, Andrew, Swartzy and the many others who have patiently explained and re-explained how to work with on-camera flash (and flash+ambient) to get natural-looking, pleasing results. If it's any kind of reward, know that you ARE making a difference!!!!! :thumb

ETA: Yes, I had different apertures on each of the ones above - I don't remember now why I opened up to 1.4 in the 2nd one. Here's a shot taken immediately after the "bad" one (and at the same settings). Light's a litttle hot on her hands, but it does at least illuminate under the brim.....
725121429_wTPzE-S.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Nicely done!!!

Looks like you opted to allow for some front spill from the flash based on the catchlights (one centered and one at 5 o'clock).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Nicely done!!!

Looks like you opted to allow for some front spill from the flash based on the catchlights (one centered and one at 5 o'clock).

You know, I"ve been trying to figure that one out since I shot it. I had the camera in vertical orientation,a nd the flash pointed down and to my right - I guess it must have been not 100% down to get those catchlights headscratch.gif. In one of the shots, the centered one actually created redeye, even though the head was NOT pointed towards her. The one at 5 o'clock is from the bounce, I'm sure, but the other one... Dunno. I was quite close - could that have been why it caught like that? headscratch.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    It doesn't take much forward angle for the eye to reflect the flash. You may not have had any spill, but you will get that pinpoint of light.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif...the thread title....

Diva...I thought surely you were sharing pics from a super wild night on the town.....rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 27, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Laughing.gif...the thread title....

Diva...I thought surely you were sharing pics from a super wild night on the town.....

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

totally intentional rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif (glad somebody appreciates my warped, post-turkey-coma sense of humour! lol3.gif)
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Man...am I ever slow.....it even took me a second to understand Jeff's insight...then BAM.......I was howling. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif Now that thar is funny, I don't care who you are.rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Laughing.gif on the title Diva! :D NICE work! I love your spirit Diva...you are determined to figure things out....always moving forward, experimenting and willing to try out the latest technique. I think you did a fantastic job of figuring out a way to light under the brim. Hats are so hard to light. You figured out how to do it! Very cool. I love #3 the most--her arms really make that shot, just precious. She is a cutie and looks like she is really enjoying modeling these days (lucky you!). Fun hat!!! Thanks for sharing your tricks and cute pics!:D
    edited November 28, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Man...am I ever slow.....it even took me a second to understand Jeff's insight...then BAM.......I was howling. Now that thar is funny, I don't care who you are.

Excellent - we all need a good laugh!

Now, since you were the one who triggered the "aha" moment which led (finally) to my flash+ambient epiphany... how'd I do?! rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 28, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    Laughing.gif on the title Diva! :D NICE work! I love your spirit Diva...you are determined to figure things out....always moving forward, experimenting and willing to try out the latest technique. I think you did a fantastic job of figuring out a way to light under the brim. Hats are so hard to light. You figured out how to do it! Very cool. I love #3 the most--her arms really make that shot, just precious. She is a cutie and looks like she is really enjoying modeling these days (lucky you!). Fun hat!!! Thanks for sharing your tricks and cute pics!:D

Thanks, KM. I do enjoy it, and solving these little puzzles is part of the fun. For too many years I knew I could compose a shot, but was so technically clueless that it was alway hit and miss (and unlike you, I didn't seem to have a flawless eye for *light* to carry me along). Thanks to the good folks here at dgrin, I've been able to learn sooooooo much, and just have a ball putting it to use! It's really satisfying when I can come up with a genuine solution for a genuine problem like this one... especially WHILE DOING IT. That's the part I get excited about: figuring this out when i need it instead of 3 days later rolleyes1.gif
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    I've been recently working on some bouncing myself...its fun to keep trying :D I have a newborn at home that may be blind from all the test flashing i am doing on him Laughing.gif
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com