Cool Kicks in the Sky

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited November 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I don't know why people do this--throwing shoes up on power lines, specially such a cool pair of shoes! I want them.
There is a family of shoes growing by leaps and bounds on the power lines one block from my house (shot #2)--they must be caught and neutered.

725755436_vMFrd-XL-1.jpg

725755751_c3aT5-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    There are some pretty new shoes in your power lines....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    There are some pretty new shoes in your power lines....

Right?
    I think I'd have a problem with my kid throwing his good shoes on to the lines.

BTW, the second shot wasn't meant as a "cool shot" I just snapped it so you guys can see where the original shot lives.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Ha...I haven't seen shoes thrown up like that in a long time. Not a clue why they do it tho.

Liz...you need to catch a kid doing it and ask them why they throw good shoes up there :D
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    The shoes hanging from power lines have to do with some gang code. At least that's what it is said around here.

Love the first one, by the way. Composition, colour, and post-processing are all spot on in my opinion.

Edit: some info on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    invisible wrote:
    The shoes hanging from power lines have to do with some gang code. At least that's what it is said around here.

Love the first one, by the way. Composition, colour, and post-processing are all spot on in my opinion.

Very interesting read on wiki -- thanks for looking it up thumb.gif
    edited November 29, 2009
    invisible wrote:

Thanks for the info:) some interesting theories in that article from "shoefiti" to a "shoe throwing sport". That particular block has a group of kids in their early teens, they are big time into skating and usually gather under that particular line with shoes--I will ask them next time, they are a nice bunch of kids.

I laughed so hard when I read about how shoe throwing is big in all these different countries, including Bolivia (which is where I"m from) but also the U.S..

Thanks for looking it up and for commenting on my first photo. I also like how it came out and was particularly pleased that it was so sharp.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 29, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Ha...I haven't seen shoes thrown up like that in a long time. Not a clue why they do it tho.

Liz...you need to catch a kid doing it and ask them why they throw good shoes up there :D

I just asked my husband and he remembers doing that when he was a kid but doesn't remember why they did it, just that it was really cool to have your shoes up there.

I never did that--my mother would have killed merolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 29, 2009
    I laughed so hard when I read about how shoe throwing is big in all these different countries, including Bolivia (which is where I"m from) but also the U.S..
    Hola, vecina! I'm originally from Argentina ;)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
    edited November 29, 2009
    invisible wrote:
    Hola, vecina! I'm originally from Argentina ;)

Hola amigito,
    You will be happy to know that shoe throwing on powerlines is also prevalent in Argentina:)

Where are you living now?
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 29, 2009
    Hola amigito,
    You will be happy to know that shoe throwing on powerlines is also prevalent in Argentina:)

Where are you living now?
    I never saw shoes on power lines in Argentina, but things might've changed since I left. I'm in Winnipeg, Canada. Where are you planning on moving to next? :)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
    edited November 29, 2009
    invisible wrote:
    I never saw shoes on power lines in Argentina, but things might've changed since I left. I'm in Winnipeg, Canada. Where are you planning on moving to next? :)

For now I'm staying put.

For now:)
    Liz A.
    _________