Do you print your own or order online?

JoshFJoshF Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited December 23, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Was looking at the Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mkii printer and wondering if it's worth it or if I should just order prints online? What do you think?

Comments

• Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    I have started printing alot more from home with local orders, but still send alot of orders to the labs. Since I print more at home, I am going to be getting a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 MK II in a couple days to replace the printer I had been using. If my customers want more than just a glossy or a matte finish, off to the lab it goes. If it is a parent who just wants a 4x6, I will likely print at home. If the print is for something bigger (display or a wedding treasure, etc.) I show them the options from the lab for larger, finer prints.
  • JoshFJoshF Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    There's a good rebate on bot the Canon 9000 and 9500 right now. One can get a 9500 for 525 after rebate.
  • 98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    i generally Print at home... I use an HP Photosmart C7280 All in One..

Absolutely love it the quality is fantastic..

If I have a large order of the same photo I sometimes order out to be printed, and if I have someone that wants a photo larger than 8.5x11 I have to order out.

I am currently thinking about purchasing an HP photospmart 4x6 printer to take on site with me.

I would reccomend any of the HP photosmart printers if you are printing from home..
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 29, 2009
    Printing your own images can be quite satisfying, if you are prepared to deal with color management with hardware tools, ICC profiles for your printer and your paper.

Otherwise, you are much better of with a professional online printing agency like smugmug.

"Fine Art Printing for Photographers" by Uwe SteinMueller and Juergen Gulbins is very explanatory in what is needed to print one's own high quality prints.

"From Camera to Print" a video by Michael Reichman and Jeffe Schewe is excellent as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I print with an Epson R1800. Once I got everything "dialed in" I am very, very satisfied with the prints I get, up to 13 x 19 or 13 x 44 using roll paper. For me it is the culmination of the entire process from capture to post processing to printing. I even mat and frame my own stuff, but I am not a production studio. I have created some calendar items (gifts and "marketing") where I print several copies but still very small batches.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Naturally, I do things backassward.

I've found it cheaper to do 4x6s by sending them out. I print 8x10 and 5x7 at home (HP Photosmart) on both paper and canvas. Larger prints, odd sizes like model book 9 x 12 and textured prints I send to MPix or Meridian Pro.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    What are your requirements?
    There are several answers to this question, but the best ones would be in tune with your requirements.

How often will you be printing?
    How large, how frequently?
    How many color? b&w?
    What kind of paper types do you favor?
    What kind of context is this printing for? Hanging on playroom walls, or hanging in art galleries?
    How smart are you with color management?
    Are you OK with the costs of consumables compared with outsourcing the work?
    Do you have the storage space for the supplies and a large printer?

That's a start.

M