Shopping Cart - how long do items stay there?

twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited November 29, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have a customer inquiring about putting items in their shopping cart but holding off on ordering for a while.

I will be putting many galleries of hockey photos on my site over the next couple months - they are selecting images to purchase but want to leave them in the shopping cart and add more items as I put up more galleries over the next couple months.

Does anyone know how long those items stay in the cart - the would like to avoid having to repeat selecting images if they were somehow 'lost' from the cart.

Does clearing the browser cache and cookies remove this information??
Thanks.

Comments

• twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    I got my answer from Josh at smugmug:

Thanks for contacting SmugMug. The items in the shopping cart are stored in a browser cookie, and the cookie will expire in 30 days. So, your customer could leave items in their cart for 30 days, but after that time, the cookie would expire, and the cart would empty. Also, if browser cookies are deleted, this will empty the cart as well. So, if your customer wants to wait 2 months to place an order, I would just probably suggest having them wait until the final pictures are posted to start adding items to their cart.
    I hope this helps, but please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. Thank you, and have a great day!
  • termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    BTW, SmugMug, I've had similar requests from customers to be able to hold an account with SmugMug (or my company) so that they can log-in and have all their shipping and credit card information stored.

I know it's a tough debate between requiring log-ins and not asking for emails until the order is completed... but is there a way to get the best of both worlds?
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    termina3 wrote:
    I know it's a tough debate between requiring log-ins and not asking for emails until the order is completed... but is there a way to get the best of both worlds?
    We continually look at this. But right now, there isn't, and we've no plans to change the cart functionality in the sort term, sorry.