Options

Software question

QuirkelQuirkel Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited November 29, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi,

I am a mere user (and barely) of Photoshop Elements 6, but I am very interested in finding out what kind of software would enable me to take a photo and break it down into pixels at very low resolution and then would make the image out of only 5 colors - namely red, blue, yellow, black and white.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and is it user friendly, or do you have to be a Photoshop, etc. whiz to understand it and use it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 29, 2009
    DO you have an an example of what you are wanting to create?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    DO you have an an example of what you are wanting to create?

Well, there is a very cool artist out there by the name of Eric Daigh who takes portrait shots of his family and friends, and then breaks the photos down into pixels but using only red, blue, yellow, white and black, and under low rez. Then he takes the broken down photo and where each red pixel is, he puts a red push pin, then a yellow, then black, and so on and so on, depending on what is called for in the shot, until the entire photo is covered by pushpins. When you are up close and personal with the shot, it just looks like a bunch of pushpins, but when you step back, it becomes this amazing picture that looks exactly as the original photo did. Do you see what i mean? You just step back and your brain goes to work and it becomes the photo that he took originally. It's very cool.

So, it's something I would like to try, but in everything I've read about his process, nowhere does it mention what the software is he is using, just that it is "specialized". So, I figured someone here might know what I'm talking about and could give me an idea of what it is.

Thanks!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 29, 2009
    If I understand his image here - http://daigh.com/ - he actually uses pushpins on a board - that is what the site says anyway. Some of his images are large 48 Inches by 72 inches

If you reduce the image pixel count, you will begin to see a pixelated image that could act as a map for push pins.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    If I understand his image here - http://daigh.com/ - he actually uses pushpins on a board - that is what the site says anyway. Some of his images are large 48 Inches by 72 inches

If you reduce the image pixel count, you will begin to see a pixelated image that could act as a map for push pins.

Yes, that's exactly what he does.
    So, okay, it's really only as easy as that, reducing pixel count? Okay, thanks!