A Peek Into The Infamous Okefenokee Swamp

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited December 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This vast acreage....over 400,000....lies in north Florida and south Georgia. It is one of the largest fresh water ecological systems in our country. The only way to really see the area is by boat ( or plane ). I made a brief excursion, by foot, to the fringes of the swamp today. Thank goodness there was a hacked-out trail to follow as the undergrowth in this place is impenetrable.....I mean IMPENETRABLE.

This fellow welcomed me as I started into the swamp. He is about 8 - 9 feet long and was about 10 feet off the trail.

727100969_f54da-XL.jpg

A broad view looking north. Small boats can traverse the waters you see.

727101762_5d5TA-XL.jpg

Looking to the south.

727101337_caRDC-XL.jpg

A closer look at some of the famous Spanish Moss that is everywhere....and that is also known as being " red bug " heaven.

727102086_LD9LM-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    The swamps on foot hu? Better you than me.:D I would be too scared to run into one of the critters you photographed.

Love the shots of the Spanish Moss, just lovely (although red bug heaven doesn't sound so lovely).

Hope to see more swamp shots from you in the future as this is something I'm definately not familiar with and find it very interesting--maybe by boat next time though :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

WOW< that looks like a really neat place, but I think I'd rather have a Boat to take me around, especially something about being on the same playing field as your "Greeting Committee" but I guess that's one of those make sure you're not the slowest in the Group thing:D:D:D

Would love to see that place.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Howdy Tom

Nice series here. Definitely not the place you'd like to spend the night after gettin' "turned around" eek7.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 30, 2009
    Very nice set, Tom. I would never have gotten past the greeter. rolleyes1.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I've always wanted to go to a swamp. Just can't get my hubby into one of these places. If the greeter you posted didn't stop him it would be the slithering ropes that move about rolleyes1.gif

The spanish moss is just beautiful. I love your last photo .. It just engulfs the photo thumb.gif

Walked in on foot...you are a brave soul :D Hope you had some good thick boots on.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Hi Liz,

I've been on two trips before wherein we covered a good bit of the territory in boats. That's the only way you can really cover very much of the place. This time, I wanted to get a little more of the " up close and personal " feeling.....and I got a pretty good dose of what I was after.

I'll be going back for another boat trip soon....the weather is cool and the bugs are gone. You'll be seeing some fairly dramatic shots from this scheduled venture.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited November 30, 2009
    Yo Craig,

You would definitely enjoy the Okefenokee. The array of animals you can see is staggering. You'll see plants that you never knew existed. Never go in the Summer though. The, heat, humidity, and bugs are too much to take. It should definitely be a Fall or Winter trip.

Take care,

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    You were obviously NOT wearing any Alligator skin boots. I hear it offends the critters & we might have to start calling you "Hop Along Tom"

First time I was walking along a lake in Florida, I stopped and said to myself "what is wrong with people? Why do they dump old tires down here?" About that time the "tire" started moving off into the water. Yep, a local 12' gator. Somehow, my friend thought that was humorous. eek7.gif

Nice shots and I can't wait to see a more "in-depth" posting from you.
    Randy
    edited November 30, 2009
    Hey Jack,

You can get turned around in this place so fast it's scary. Thank God for the GPS.

On one of my previous trips deep into the swamp, we camped out for the night on one of the seemingly millions of little islands. Right about dusk, we caught about a 6 foot rattlesnake making its way into our camp. I kid you not....I did not sleep a wink the entire night. I heard sounds throughout the night I've never heard before.

Its a fascinating place, but you better accord it its due respect or your experience can turn nasty in a heart beat.

Be well,

Tom
    edited November 30, 2009
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the comment. I've got to admit that, once I got my shot, I moved on down the trail pretty quickly. A gator this big can be a real problem.

Take care,

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    HI Tom.......Nice set of pictures.......Do they have hiking trails through the swamp???? We have trails all over AZ. Did you go with a guide, or just pack up and head out?????? azzaro
    edited December 1, 2009
    Hi Mary Kim,

You don't go into a place like this without the proper clothes on. My boots come up almost to my knees and are water proof and snake proof. I wear long sleeve shirts that, along with my pants, are real tough fabric to help avoid grass cuts. I constantly stay alert and try not to do anything stupid.

I hope you get a chance to go into a swamp one day. You'll see nature there that you can't see anywhere else.

Take care,

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Hi Mary Kim,

You don't go into a place like this without the proper clothes on. My boots come up almost to my knees and are water proof and snake proof. I wear long sleeve shirts that, along with my pants, are real tough fabric to help avoid grass cuts. I constantly stay alert and try not to do anything stupid.

I hope you get a chance to go into a swamp one day. You'll see nature there that you can't see anywhere else.

Take care,

Tom

I'm happy to hear your dressed right. I've taken a few walks in ND/SD without the right boots for rattlesnakes. Won't do that anymore, didn't get bit, but the thought of what could of happened scared me.
    edited December 3, 2009
    Hey Randy,

You're right....no gator boots on this trip:D . We'll be going back soon for another over-nighter deep into the swamp. I hope to get some good shots that can convey just how creepy it can get.

Take care,

Tom
    edited December 3, 2009
    Yo Azzaro,

There are a few trails that will take you to the fringes of the swamp. I head out on those on my own....keep your wits about you and you can't really get into trouble on those. There are no trails that actually go out into the swamp....got to have a boat.

I wouldn't dare go out into the swamp on my own. One of the guys I go out with has been exploring the area since he was a child. None of the rest of us will go out without him.

Take care,

Tom
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    So, where's Pogo in all this? (ooops! Giving away my age).
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged