Options

First e-session like evar..... warning crap ton of pics.

gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
edited December 3, 2009 in Weddings
Did my first e-session ever with Terri and Patrick earlier today. I will be shooting their wedding next year, it will be a destination wedding... Well I don't know if Vancouver actually counts as a destination cause it's in Canadia. :)

Put the Tamrom 28-70mm f/2.8 to work, brought along an SB800 and Vivitar 285hv just in case.

I would love to hear critiques from the seasoned wedding pros out there.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=602&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=507&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=512&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=514&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=516&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=524&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=526&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=528&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=530&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=532&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=534&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=536&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=538&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=540&g2_serialNumber=1

15 A little Sam / Hoffer - esque but hey what can you do?
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=547&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=551&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=558&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=562&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=566&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=570&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=572&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=574&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=576&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=578&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=580&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=582&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=588&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=590&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=598&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=600&g2_serialNumber=1

Full Set here.
http://www.reverbphotography.com/blog/?p=189
http://www.reverbphotography.com
Nikon D300
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
2 Alien Bees AB800
Nikon Speedlight SB800
Elinchrome Skyport Triggers

Comments

• Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    No takers? What does one have to do to get a critique around here.... ne_nau.gif
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    gmonkeh wrote:
    No takers? What does one have to do to get a critique around here.... ne_nau.gif

It often takes patience:) Sometimes people are swamped with work, or they are like me and teach in a classroom away from a computer all day, or have young children, etc.

I don't have time for a detailed critique, but I will say it's a cool set. I think the images suit the style of the couple. I feel like 7-9 are the weakest because her eyes are dark and squinty, and not so sharp. I'm not sure which are my favorites yet.

Caroline
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    gmonkeh wrote:

Pick your top 5 and park the rest. 30 is too much work. It is only a couple of days after Thanksgiving too... I'm about 20 hours from home myself and I'm sure many are either recovering or still on vacation.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I think the general issue I have with these is they seem more into the camera than each other. Granted, not everyone needs to jump on the trend wagon....traditional photography embraces camera-awareness, but this set is lacking that thoughtful execution. These have the casual location, processing and general looseness of the photojournalistic style, yet they're looking at the camera in almost every shot. That combination results in shots that feel forced, so its unclear what your intent is for the viewer.

I'm just not getting purposeful posing OR genuine emotion from these, and I think that's why none of them are really grabbing me.

That said, I like 12, 13 and 14 the best...most genuine expressions, and I like the compositions. The moment in 14 feels the most real, and the lighting is subtle in agreement.

I would not have commented except you asked again for critique and, from seeing your more traditional work, you are fabulously talented in the studio setting. Directing a couple on location is a slightly different animal than a controlled lighting/model situation. Hope this helps and is received in the constructive manner it is intended.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    I think the general issue I have with these is they seem more into the camera than each other.

Beat me to it. I like them, the quality and creativity is strong, but nothing says "engagement photos" to me. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Thank you, I'm sorry i wasn't intending to sound pushy. I was just looking to get feedback for the shoot. You know how it gets, it's like getting a new toy and you want to show it off :)

And definitely got some really useful feedback so far. As some of you might now I was mainly a portrait guy. I wanted to get my feet wet with couples, so I was still in that mindset. I just have to wean myself from that. I do great with one person but another one in there and it's a crapshoot :)
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Hiya,

For me the general issue was the background on the first ones. I don't like that particle board with two by fours compared to the nice brick wall next to it.

I really like the others though, lots of good pictures in there!
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    Beat me to it. I like them, the quality and creativity is strong, but nothing says "engagement photos" to me. ne_nau.gif

I can understand this. With one person, a "portrait" is about what makes that person him or herself; with an engagement shoot, it becomes a "portrait" of their love. For me, #24 is the best example of that, but I can see how the overall set doesn't fully emote the latter definition.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Having only done one e-shoot I hardly have the experience of most posters in here so take everything I say with a large n00b-shaped grain of salt, but you did say you wanted feedback..... :D

The thing I wonder as I look at these is - did you take pictures of them interacting with each other, or "pose" them? I get the feeling of the latter, which may be what Urbanaries is saying. Also, somehow the serious looks and severe clothing go against "warm fuzzy engagement" to me. I'm guessing you were going for the edgy, urban "fashion-shoot" look, but I'm not getting "couple" from it in the same way as some of the lighter moods.

In the one session I did, the BEST advice I was given (thanks dgrinners iloveyou.gif) was rather than pose them all the time to try and get them relating to each other and then just take pictures of what they did together. I don't know that I was 100% successful - lack of experience means everything is an experiment at first! - but I definitely got some good keepers both for my portfolio and that they loved. Fortunately, the couple were very easy to get to interact - I'm sure some couples need more direction (with those two I just pushed their start button and stood back - it was eeeaassssyy). So, with my extremely limited experience, I just pass on the advice I was given.

I like the collage - some of the shots definitely work more convincingly as a series than as standalone pictures.

On to some specifics:

4 They look more connected in this one

5/6 What do these images "say" either about them as a couple, or as a photographic statement? I'm not finding it extreme enough to be "fashion style", nor connected enough to be about how they feel for each other.

#9 works as a couple and is very cute, although am not crazy about the background (but then I'm not really the edgy, urban-look kinda gal, so that is entirely a matter of taste - that's a popular look right now and if it's what they wanted, it's what they got :D )

10 nice processing, but his eyes are stone dead which is a dealbreaker for me.

12 bw works for me as it minimizes the background, but recheck their faces - on my calibrated monitor, the faces are looking a little hot and soft, which I suspect is something in the conversion

13 works as far as nice expressions, although I'm not crazy about the hard shadow (I know - it's a "style")

14 despite them not looking at each other, something about this one works for me

16/17 Messy backgrounds - takes my attention away. The only way I can imagine this bg working is using an even wider ap (or tele to get more blur,m or move them forward or whatever). I get what you were going for, but it's just too much ... STUFF... behind them for me. YMMV.

22/23 would work except for the trash can - that makes it a tosser for me (unless you're a good cloner). My eye went STRAIGHT to that instead of them

26 nice idea except looks very posed and static - any others in that set?

29 is soooo close to being fantastic - it's only her slightly worried expression that doesn't quite work. Do you have any others from that? Even a wide laugh would work on that for me - it's the "eek" in her eyes that detracts.

Again, I hope that this kind of detailed C&C (especially from somebody without any significant experience) doesn't offend... but you did ask! I've seen your studio shots which are gorgeous so know that you have a GREAT deal more experience than I do, but I'm just telling you what I *see* in these. Doesn't mean I could do it any better (although I keep hoping by reading, watching and analyzing I can improve!!)
  • Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    29 is soooo close to being fantastic - it's only her slightly worried expression that doesn't quite work. Do you have any others from that? Even a wide laugh would work on that for me - it's the "eek" in her eyes that detracts.

I couldn't agree more. A great set but seemed(to me and my minimal experience) more like a "Publicity" shoot for a musical duo. JMO
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    +1 for #29 almost being incredible. Next time remember memory is cheap...shoot shoot shoot!

Upon opening this thread the collage impressed me. I was excited. However, the overall lack of diversity between the shots is a problem. To much posing and camera interaction...too little authenticity and romance. Try varied PP, and some lifestyle/non-posed shots. Also, open your lens up to give a more romantic look to the shots.

A great start, keep it up!