Options

How do I boost sales?

jstepjstep Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 30, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello, I am wondering how to turn a few of the lookers into actual buyers. I launched a couple of weeks ago. I am mainly shooting 5k races and will include more triathlons when the season starts again. I already have 4000 hits, but only one sale! My website is: www.welifephoto.com. any advise on the photography and business side would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    jstep wrote:
    Hello, I am wondering how to turn a few of the lookers into actual buyers. I launched a couple of weeks ago. I am mainly shooting 5k races and will include more triathlons when the season starts again. I already have 4000 hits, but only one sale! My website is: www.welifephoto.com. any advise on the photography and business side would be appreciated.
    One word: Marketing. You have to find some way to get your website and photos in front of as many interested potential buyers as possible. Business cards, e-mails, posts on forums focused on what you're photographing, etc.

Be sure you understand Smugmug's reporting statistics. That 4,000 number may be photo views, rather than individual hits.

Also, your question may get better response if it were posted in the "Mind Your Own Business" topic here on Digital Grin.

Good luck.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    jstepjstep Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2009
    Thanks for the direct, informative critique. I have a race this Saturday, and will work on those things you pointed out. If any other thoughts come to mind, let me know.
  • Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I agree with Glort, your shots lack a strong subject and are therefor boring. Try to get tighter crops and focus on one runner in the frame. Make that individual the the subject of the photo. In a 5K or 10K run, the obvious place to be is at the end of the run where you can see the anguish/elation in the face of the runner(s). Another good location is some point on the course (a hill, a sharp turn, a choke point) where you can get more interaction between two or three runners in a small group. Again, the point is to convey the struggle and emotion of the athlete. High School Cross Country races are great for getting a lot of emotion on the faces of the athletes. I know, I used to run when I was in High School.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I agree with Glort, your shots lack a strong subject and are therefor boring.
    More to think about. People are taller than they are wide, so why are you shooting in the landscape orientation, where the image is wider than it is tall? Shoot portrait orientation. Also, DON'T CHOP OFF THEIR FEET! They are runners, get the entire body in the shot. You also need a faster shutter speed so you don't get a slight blurring of the hands and feet as they move. 1/250 will not cut it, and most of your images are soft as a result, not sharp and crisp.

I'd suggest you do the next race (or two or three) as practice only and do not even attempt to sell anything. This is going to be harder than I think you realize it will be.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    jstep, I've merged the two threads that you started, since they were identical thumb.gif