Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS Mega-Challenge #6 (One Word)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Are you ready?!?!?! :barb Welcome to the sixth Dgrin Sharp Shooters Mega-Challenge!

This contest will run from Monday, November 30, 8:00am EST (GMT -5) on through Monday, December 14, 8:00am EST (GMT -5).

Your theme ready for wide open interpretation: One Word

Communication is at the heart of photography. Whether we're trying to convey a story, a message, or a feeling, we want to express something to our viewers. For this challenge, it all comes down to a single word. You must choose one word, and your photo must illustrate that word. The title of your photo must also be that one word, and only that word. Any title that has more than one word will automatically be disqualified. Choose your words wisely!

Your awesome and gracious judges are:
Marc Muench
DoctorIt
ian408
Agnieszka
Llywellyn

The contest is open to the following eligible photographers ONLY:

Angela Davis<o:p></o:p>
askip
Aspecto5
BeachBill<o:p></o:p>
Benjer<o:p></o:p>
dlplumer<o:p></o:p>
dlscott56<o:p></o:p>
Greensquared<o:p></o:p>
JAG<o:p></o:p>
JeffGroves<o:p></o:p>
learnin<o:p></o:p>
lizzard_nyc<o:p></o:p>
michswiss<o:p></o:p>
Mike K<o:p></o:p>
MrsCue
nightpixels<o:p></o:p>
PaulThomasMcKee<o:p></o:p>
photo-bug<o:p></o:p>
quark<o:p></o:p>
richtersl<o:p></o:p>
sbarge<o:p></o:p>
sherstone<o:p></o:p>
The Curious Camel<o:p></o:p>
tinamarie52<o:p></o:p>
Wingsoflovephoto
<o:p></o:p>
<!--EndFragment-->

Click here for the DSS Mega-Challenge #6 ENTRY GALLERY

Remember, 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period.
Please read the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.
All official stuff (entry thread link, etc.) are here.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Awww, man, I am SO sorry I didn't qualify for this one - it's right up my alley! But good luck to all the MC participants - this is going to be a.w.e.s.o.m.e. to see what you all come up with.

Kerry, am I mistaken, or has there been a longer gap than usual between MC's? ::iz confoozed::
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Kerry, am I mistaken, or has there been a longer gap than usual between MC's? ::iz confoozed::

There's one extra round each quarter now. Needed it there to space out four full megas during my one-year reign. thumb.gif
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Kerry,

Your word of the day photo project immediately came to my mind. Perhaps this theme was inspired by that project? Great theme!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Perhaps this theme was inspired by that project?

A little. It was prompted more by entry titles beginning to read more like full sentences. mwink.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    A little. It was prompted more by entry titles beginning to read more like full sentences. mwink.gif

"Kit lenses and Low Light Equals Existential Dream"---I know not what you speak of.rolleyes1.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    whoops...guess I didn't read most of the entry..
    "The contest is open to the following eligible photographers ONLY:"

I entered one, please remove...and my apologies.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    So concludes another Mega round. Let the nail biting begin! mwink.gif
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    This round was really tough for me. I think I psyched myself out "OMG I'm in the Mega challenge, what am I to do?!!!!" (am I alone in this?) once the hysterical screaming died down, I got down to business.

Good luck to all--some really great entries here.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    This round was really tough for me. I think I psyched myself out "OMG I'm in the Mega challenge, what am I to do?!!!!" (am I alone in this?) once the hysterical screaming died down, I got down to business.

Me to::hide
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009

It is intimidating to watch the photos go up. Then again, it's that way for all the challenges and not just the Mega.

This can turn out to be quite a nail-biter depending on how busy the judges are and when they can get around to doing their task. But we should know the results by the end of the week. In the meantime, I'll just put on the Jeopardy music....DJ.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    It is intimidating to watch the photos go up. Then again, it's that way for all the challenges and not just the Mega.

This can turn out to be quite a nail-biter depending on how busy the judges are and when they can get around to doing their task. But we should know the results by the end of the week. In the meantime, I'll just put on the Jeopardy music....DJ.gif
    \

THE END OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!

Serenity now....Serenity now.....Serenity now ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ok, I'm ok now:D . Listening to the music with ya.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    \

THE END OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!

Yes, typically the Mega judging takes a little longer because there are five judges that Kerry needs to hear from. (okay 4 in this case, unless Kerry needs to wait for herself mwink.gif)

Listening to music is one option but how about thinking up a great image for #40. Better yet do both :D
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I'm with Liz. My first Mega with all of you that are soooooooo talented!

thanks to those who gave me suggestions and coaching. Someday my newbie status might wear off, but I have a long way to go. As long as you guys keep helping, I'll keep learning.

Best of luck to all.

chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    This round was really tough for me. I think I psyched myself out "OMG I'm in the Mega challenge, what am I to do?!!!!" (am I alone in this?)

"Word!" (appropriate response? ... hmm) mwink.gif

Seems like I am always pushing the deadline, because once that first excellent photo goes up I get intimidated by the talent here.

I convince myself that the next challenge will be less stressful, but here I am already... comedy or tragedy ... story of my life and I got nothing. Hopefully I will get something posted for C&C this next round before the deadline sneaks up on me.

Excellent entries everyone! Great stuff this round!
    Thanks for letting me play! :D
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I think this may be my second mega but only the first I have been brave enough to take part in lol.
    I actually took my picture for the "Plastic or Paper" challenge. (White A4 paper, double sided sticky tape to hold the paper curl down, a point and shoot camera on macro mode and a window. Job done thumb.gif ).
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    jeffgroves wrote:
    "Word!" (appropriate response? ... hmm) mwink.gif

Seems like I am always pushing the deadline, because once that first excellent photo goes up I get intimidated by the talent here.

I convince myself that the next challenge will be less stressful, but here I am already... comedy or tragedy ... story of my life and I got nothing. Hopefully I will get something posted for C&C this next round before the deadline sneaks up on me.

Excellent entries everyone! Great stuff this round!
    Thanks for letting me play! :D

Laughing.gif_--you did not just say "word!"--that was too funny.

As far as comedy or tragedy being the story of your life--sounds like self portrait timemwink.gif .

I had so many ideas for this challenge but so little time--now that's the story of my life.

Work keeps getting in the way.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    MrsCue wrote:
    I think this may be my second mega but only the first I have been brave enough to take part in lol.
    I actually took my picture for the "Plastic or Paper" challenge. (White A4 paper, double sided sticky tape to hold the paper curl down, a point and shoot camera on macro mode and a window. Job done thumb.gif ).

:D I was about to say that you actually took the image having the "paper or plastic " contest in mind rolleyes1.gif

- It turned out very well though mwink.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com