digital download size?

thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited December 7, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
if i set a photo to be available for download, what sizes are available? am i able to restrict the size for download and make the image available for printing at a larger size?

i'm looking to set the digital image to no bigger than 4x6...if they can print a 4x6, then i have no qualms about it...i just don't want them to be able to print larger than that...

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited November 30, 2009
    Sizes (in terms of file size available) are shown here - http://www.smugmug.com/help/sell-digital-downloads. Smallest download size is 1Mpix. So you could sell only that size download plus price the photos for printing.

--- Denise
  • thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    thanks Denise, that's the link i was looking for...so, at 4Mpix, they'd be able to print at 4x6, but not much bigger (if my calculations are correct)? and the 1Mpix is too small for 4x6...do i have that correct?

thanks!
    edited November 30, 2009
    or maybe, a better solution, would be to upload a 4x6 image, make the Original available for download...then, with proof delay set, if that image is ordered, i can do a "replace"...

if i do that, would "replace" just replace that image that is being ordered, or will the Original on file be replaced permanently? in other words, if i do the replace for an order, will my "on file" image remain at 4x6 or does the "on file" image get replaced during the order process?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited November 30, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    or maybe, a better solution, would be to upload a 4x6 image, make the Original available for download...then, with proof delay set, if that image is ordered, i can do a "replace"...
    That won't work - if the original is too small to support the desired print size, that size will not be offered for sale.

And I suspect that larger than a 4x6 can be printed from a 4Mpix download. If you want to limit what can be done with the file - if it were me, I'd probably only make the 1Mpix available for download.

--- Denise
    edited November 30, 2009
    gotcha! thanks for the tips....
  • brummrbrummr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 2, 2009
    I offer 1 MP downloads, mainly intended for use in digital photo frames.
    a 1MP 4x6 would be slightly larger than 800x1200 pixels.

a 4x6 would print at 200 dpi. Not 300, but very good quality.
    a 5x7 would print at 160 dpi. May start to notice some jpg artifacts.
    an 8x10 would print at 100 dpi. Most people would notice the artifacts, but it depends on the picture as well.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    I was wondering about Digi Downloads also. To implement downloads, I don't have to upload my image at a 1MP or 4MP size, right? Say I have an original image uploaded to one of my galleries. Can I use that single image for both prints and downloads? If I set that image to download at the 1MP size, then SmugMug would "create" the 1MP size for the customer. Or do I have to upload separate images in smaller file sizes to be used for downloads (and maybe have a Download Only gallery)? That seems like double the effort for me.

Thanks,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    With 4MP downloaded images, I've seen very good 8x10 and decent 16x20 prints, so charge accordingly.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I was wondering about Digi Downloads also. To implement downloads, I don't have to upload my image at a 1MP or 4MP size, right? Say I have an original image uploaded to one of my galleries. Can I use that single image for both prints and downloads? If I set that image to download at the 1MP size, then SmugMug would "create" the 1MP size for the customer. Or do I have to upload separate images in smaller file sizes to be used for downloads (and maybe have a Download Only gallery)? That seems like double the effort for me.

Thanks,
    Lauren

Smugmug automatically creates those smaller digital download files from your uploaded originals, provided they are larger than the download size.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Thanks.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com