edited December 1, 2009 in Street and Documentary
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Does it bother you that his most famous war photo is now believed to have been staged?
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I recently had an opportunity to view some of Robert Capa's work from a private collection exhibited in Point of View 2009 in Tel-Aviv.
    I found Capa’s prints of the 1948 Tel-Aviv coast with Altalena smoking in the background and newly-formed IDF troops taking cover in an exchange of gunfire with Irgun fighters amazing! These are things we learn about in high school history lessons and here they were illustrated before me from Capa's amazing perspective!

676078814_wtsuS-L.jpg

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I've read up on and am in awe of Robert Capa (and his Brother's) work. It's important to have at least a passing understanding of the starting point for Magnum, but most of us don't live in war zones or get to travel to the four corners of the world.

Excepting those that are true students, I think seeing images by Magnum photographers that might inspire emulation would be excellent. Basically, I'd like to see some references to contemporary Magnum and other prominent Photogs. I know they are there, I've spent too much time on that sight mwink.gif

B. D., which of the current generation of Magnum Photographers do you find most interesting?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 1, 2009
    anyone else having trouble loading those magnum pages?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited December 1, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    anyone else having trouble loading those magnum pages?

They work for me ne_nau.gif.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 1, 2009
    funny - they refuse to load in firefox but load instantly in IE headscratch.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited December 1, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    funny - they refuse to load in firefox but load instantly in IE headscratch.gif

I'm using FF on XP and I'm running FlashBlock and AdBlock. Are you using some other extensions in FF?

Sorry for the hijack, but I'm guessing others might be having problems as well.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I've read up on and am in awe of Robert Capa (and his Brother's) work. It's important to have at least a passing understanding of the starting point for Magnum, but most of us don't live in war zones or get to travel to the four corners of the world.

Excepting those that are true students, I think seeing images by Magnum photographers that might inspire emulation would be excellent. Basically, I'd like to see some references to contemporary Magnum and other prominent Photogs. I know they are there, I've spent too much time on that sight mwink.gif

B. D., which of the current generation of Magnum Photographers do you find most interesting?

Well, first, I admit I am more drawn to the older Magnum folks than the younger, and tend to feel that Magnum has made members too many younger photographers who it brought it because of their commercial value to the agency, rather than because of a commitment to serious documentary work. That said, Alex Majoli (sp) does some pretty amazing stuff; Larry Towell's work is terrific, and there's a woman who's name I can't recall who blows me away.

In my photo classes I have the students buy the book Magnum Stories, which includes work by about a zillion photographers, and includes them talking about a particular project or body of work. The students are reach required to pick a Magnum photographer and give a 10-12 minute presentation on his or her work some time during the semester.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed