Options

first sports post...skatepark

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited July 22, 2005 in Sports
hiya sports fans! i visited the local skate park the other day and thought i'd share a few pics. i mostly shoot wildlife and i found the hard way that sports is a different beast all together!

this kid was by far the best at the park

28954844-L.jpg

28954861-L.jpg

he did take one nasty spill right before i left...

28954849-L.jpg

28954851-L.jpg

but he was back at it in no timethumb.gif

28954846-M.jpg

any suggestions for next time? i know i need to work on the backgrounds and it would be nice to see more of the lad's face...maybe i'll take a collection to get him a haircutne_nau.gif

thanks for the look!

-jeff

Comments

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Cool stuff. I had similar thoughts on getting his face in the picture and losing the hair. icon10.gifyelrotflmao.gif Beyond that you've done a good job capturing the action.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    Cool stuff. I had similar thoughts on getting his face in the picture and losing the hair. icon10.gifyelrotflmao.gif Beyond that you've done a good job capturing the action.
    thanks for the comments coldclimb! it was fun just being out there and watching this kid go off. shooting sprots kinda feel like the first time i shot wildlife/landscape...this could get addictingmwink.gif
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Nice shots Jeff, you captured the action wellthumb.gif

There is always skaters at the school across the street from my house but I don't know how they would feel about me taking pics so I just usually watch them. They do some pretty amazing stuff.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Gawwwd They Have No Fear Do They
    hiya sports fans! i visited the local skate park the other day and thought i'd share a few pics. i mostly shoot wildlife and i found the hard way that sports is a different beast all together!
    this kid was by far the best at the park
    he did take one nasty spill right before i left...
    but he was back at it in no timethumb.gif
    any suggestions for next time? i know i need to work on the backgrounds and it would be nice to see more of the lad's face...maybe i'll take a collection to get him a haircutne_nau.gif
    thanks for the look!
    -jeff
    There is a skate board park within walking distance of my house, but I've never really stopped to watch them, there are no big valley's like those shown in your images, so they cant get up much speed to the thing the young lad is doing in your images.......some of those kids with skate boards and roller skate do do amazing things......love those mid air captures you shot, you did well to be able to even keep up the the boy.......
    ..thanks for sharing Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Nice shots Jeff, you captured the action wellthumb.gif

There is always skaters at the school across the street from my house but I don't know how they would feel about me taking pics so I just usually watch them. They do some pretty amazing stuff.

Eric
    thanks eric,

we got some stink eye at first and i think one of them even called us vultures, but after a while one of the skaters asked us what mag we shot for. i told him we were just two old dudes who used to skate and now are too busted up for it...but we still love skating. after that they almost started to show off for us.

-j
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    There is a skate board park within walking distance of my house, but I've never really stopped to watch them, there are no big valley's like those shown in your images, so they cant get up much speed to the thing the young lad is doing in your images.......some of those kids with skate boards and roller skate do do amazing things......love those mid air captures you shot, you did well to be able to even keep up the the boy.......
    ..thanks for sharing Skippy (Australia)
    thanks for the comments skippy! these kids are nuts and seem to have rubber limbs!!

-j
  • Options
    JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    This may sound like I am a total geezer, but I can't believe kids are out there skating without any pads at all.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Hey Jeff,
    Nice shots. I had a tough time at a rodeo trying to keep focus and watch the action for timing. Sports is definitely another beast, and yes a bit addicting.
    Other than a hair cut for the lad, the only other comment might be to slow down the shutter a bit. You probably won't get as many usable shots, but some motion blur will give a bit more feel of action (not that they don't already). Guess you could do the same in PS also.

To Eric if you read this,
    Go to the park and take a few shots. They'll probably complain and give you some dirty looks. Show them a few captures on your camera or print a few and give it to them. I think from then on, you'd be more than accepted. It's amazing what a picture can do.

Thanks for sharing these,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    therootheroo Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Good Job
    Nice pics, I'm old but I think the hair makes for a better pic. Nice action shots.
    Theroo
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    JohnEBongo wrote:
    This may sound like I am a total geezer, but I can't believe kids are out there skating without any pads at all.
    i'm not that old and i feel the same wayne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Nice shots. I had a tough time at a rodeo trying to keep focus and watch the action for timing. Sports is definitely another beast, and yes a bit addicting.
    Other than a hair cut for the lad, the only other comment might be to slow down the shutter a bit. You probably won't get as many usable shots, but some motion blur will give a bit more feel of action (not that they don't already). Guess you could do the same in PS also.

To Eric if you read this,
    Go to the park and take a few shots. They'll probably complain and give you some dirty looks. Show them a few captures on your camera or print a few and give it to them. I think from then on, you'd be more than accepted. It's amazing what a picture can do.

Thanks for sharing these,
    Chris
    chris,

thanks for the comments and especially the suggestions, i appreciate all the help i can get!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    theroo wrote:
    Nice pics, I'm old but I think the hair makes for a better pic. Nice action shots.
    thanks 'roo! yeah, he kinda reminds me of the z town crew...
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 22, 2005
    Where's da egrets? ne_nau.gif

Laughing.gif, these turned out well Jeff. It is really hard to shoot action and get it all "right" the first time out. Yeah, his hair length didn't help, but that 2nd shot looks really good to me. For your first time shooting skateboarding, ya dun real good IMO thumb.gifthumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero