Options

Stairways of SF: Yerba Buena Cove and Telegraph Hill

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited December 6, 2009 in Street and Documentary
This Thanksgiving we weren't able to fly back to be with our familes, so we took advantage of the empty city and quiet streets to try something new.

Fellow Dgrinner and good friend aktse lent me a (very locally popular) book about staircases in San Francisco, just chock full of great local history and hidden paths. There are 27 hikes in the book but we just turned to the first page, made sure our batteries were charged, packed a few snacks, and off we went.

Love the Translink cards for getting around on the muni! (I guess this counts as a stairway)
724907637_znHfi-XL.jpg

Our starting point: 1st & Market
724904067_7cVb3-XL.jpg

724905368_8c5gR-XL.jpg

One thing I learned is that not all of San Francisco was above water 200 years ago. And how many businesspeople walk over this plaque every day and not realize that it's there?
724905201_K5hjf-XL.jpg

Shell Corner:
724904621_ixyHZ-XL.jpg

130 Bush Street. The narrowest building in San Francisco. It is supposedly three steps from the front door to where you hit the back of the elevator.
724908440_xLJHG-XL.jpg

Love the daytime fog
724905940_K5kXF-XL.jpg

Leidesdorff Street isn't remarkable, but the incredibly prolific businessman it's named after makes me feel like a slacker.
724903859_jZKCX-XL.jpg

And here are a bunch of shots of the Transamerica Pyramid:
724906508_6rGGb-XL.jpg

724906716_9kTJx-XL.jpg

It's very cool to read a plaque like this and realize that you would have been standing underwater 150-ish years ago:
724904847_bYpgW-XL.jpg

This building in the FG was where they held the first Jewish services. Three Stars of David embellish the fire escapes:
724905696_pov87-XL.jpg

Balance Street doesn't even look like a street. It looks like a dead end:
724908154_svYiE-XL.jpg

This forum is about dimly-lit back alleys, right? Here we go.
724907315_e7TuQ-XL.jpg

We emerged at the edge of Chinatown, and the first set of stairs:
726475779_5aQAp-XL.jpg

726481313_HV8ZT-XL.jpg

The second set, Vallejo Stairs, was more scenic in a different way:
726488810_d3sRC-XL.jpg

We ran into the wild parrots on the Calhoun steps, but that's more wildlife and not street. So skipping onwards...

The beautiful, famous Filbert steps:
726503463_XcN3z-XL.jpg

726507050_rRFL8-XL.jpg

Amazing houses, amazing greenery:
726511769_j5WA8-XL.jpg

I'm very glad we were headed down and not up these steps! We had to cut the hike short but we caught the F train back home. I'm sure this view is familiar to many who have visited SF:

726514722_MRQWo-XL.jpg

I have more photos and slightly better descriptions in the gallery here, but thanks for looking! Most of these shots were shoot-from-the-hip documentary for my own purposes, but feedback is always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 30, 2009
    What a wonderful way to spend a day wandering through the city. Did you take the dog?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited November 30, 2009
    I really enjoyed these, Schmoo. Takes me back to the days when I used to walk over that plaque without ever reading it lol3.gif.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I enjoyed this history lesson.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Very nice, Schmoo wings.gif I love these kind of walks. It's such a fun way to spend your day :smo
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I liked your "Leidesdorff Street" image even though I have never been there....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Great idea! You show some photos of the city that others would not think twice about.

S F is a great walking city. My friend and I use to run DOWN some of these hills with stairs, but on the flat sidewalk (cuz it was fast, easy, and thrilling) and have to stop on the small flat curb at the bottom before we ran into the street.

Hope you had a great day!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    Thanks, guys! I am sure that most cities have guidebooks written by locals similar to this so that you can also do something like this and show us pics. :D

i'd love to have done something like this for Baltimore, except I am pretty darned sure that the number of muggings and shootings would go up. :uhoh
    rainbow wrote:
    Great idea! You show some photos of the city that others would not think twice about.

S F is a great walking city. My friend and I use to run DOWN some of these hills with stairs, but on the flat sidewalk (cuz it was fast, easy, and thrilling) and have to stop on the small flat curb at the bottom before we ran into the street.

Hope you had a great day!

You are nuts! lol3.gif But that sounds fun, although I wouldn't be willing to test the quality of coverage of my health insurance trying that.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    You are nuts! lol3.gif But that sounds fun, although I wouldn't be willing to test the quality of coverage of my health insurance trying that.

Or the willingness of a Muni driver to actually stop for a pedestrian lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Or the willingness of a Muni driver to actually stop for a pedestrian lol3.gif

lol3.gif I gotta say I haven't seen that yet, but I don't hang out much around the busy tourist areas. It's more that cars try to zip by the trains by the skin of their noses and sometimes they don't succeed.

Oh and no we didn't bring the dog although we totally should have. Maybe next time!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Oh and no we didn't bring the dog although we totally should have. Maybe next time!
    When you guys get down this way, you'll have tons of walking friends thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Great photos ! clap.gifclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    I love stuff like this...thanks for sharing! As others have commented, what a great way to spend a day!
  • Options
    Mr_Beach_BumMr_Beach_Bum Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    You just inspired me - in Pittsburgh we have "city steps" on hillsides... I've always thought they would be an interesting subject. Looks like PGH and SF have some similarities: the streets turn into steps then back into streets... Nice series!