D700 or is there a new version with video on the horizon?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 1, 2009 in Cameras
I currently shoot a D300. I recently sold two of my DX lenses and upgraded to the full frame Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8. I did this in anticipation of upgrading to a full frame body. I am very interested in buying the D700 but I don't want to if Nikon will release something similar to the D700 but with video in the near future. Anyone know of any leaked information on this?

My other question is that I own a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 wide angle that I absolutely love but now I will have to sell once I upgrade to full frame since it's a DX lens. I thinking I may be able to get away with only using the 28-70mm for a while since the lens will be much wider on the FF body. If I did need a wider angle, what FF lens would you recommend to compliment my 28-70mm?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I currently shoot a D300. I recently sold two of my DX lenses and upgraded to the full frame Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8. I did this in anticipation of upgrading to a full frame body. I am very interested in buying the D700 but I don't want to if Nikon will release something similar to the D700 but with video in the near future. Anyone know of any leaked information on this?

My other question is that I own a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 wide angle that I absolutely love but now I will have to sell once I upgrade to full frame since it's a DX lens. I thinking I may be able to get away with only using the 28-70mm for a while since the lens will be much wider on the FF body. If I did need a wider angle, what FF lens would you recommend to compliment my 28-70mm?

If they release it probaly won't be till the summer time at the earliest. My guess will be D700s which will give you 1.5 to 2 stops of clean usable ISO ovcer the D700 and of course video.

Your Tokina is supposed to work 15mm-16mm fyi. That remindds me I need to check that tonight.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 30, 2009
    The Nikon D700 followed the D3 by around 11 months. The D3s was just announced the middle of October, 2009. The best "guess" anyone could have is, if Nikon follows the same cycle, a D700s in maybe September 2010 or so.

Will Nikon follow the same cycle? Who knows. (Don't believe anyone who claims to know.) I could see a minor cycle adjustment, but probably not a major change.*

If you really "need" the D700, now is a good time to buy it. Always buy what you "need", when you need it.

If you only "want" a D700, the choice is definitely up to you alone (and to your finances, of course.)

*Edit: Qarik's guess of summer 2010 would be a minor cycle adjustment, for instance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I find that I have trouble determining the difference between a want and a need. Laughing.gif. I can probably wait until next year though. I'd hate to buy the D700 now and then want the D700s when it comes out.

Question... did the D3s price point go up from the D3?

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    If they release it probaly won't be till the summer time at the earliest. My guess will be D700s which will give you 1.5 to 2 stops of clean usable ISO ovcer the D700 and of course video.

Your Tokina is supposed to work 15mm-16mm fyi. That remindds me I need to check that tonight.

Will you let me know how your test goes? I will be curious to see.

My Smug Site
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    If I did need a wider angle, what FF lens would you recommend to compliment my 28-70mm?

The 14-24mm f2.8 ED is amazing. When do you think you will go FX? The D700s or whatever might not be out for awhile but nobody knows for sure.
  • StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    from what I have been told the D700 is already no longer avaialble for order from nikon. I think the replacement will come sooner rather than later.
    edited December 1, 2009
    I think I am going to fight the urge and wait until the D700(x) comes out. My D300 is a spectacular camera as is and I it more than serves the purpose. I will satisfy my new gear bug by purchasing some studio lighting for now. When the new body does come out, my plan is to sell the D300 and the Tokina 11-16mm to fund the purchase of the new camera. I looked through my photos in LR and noticed that most of my pics are taken with my 28-70mm and without the crop factor on the new FF body, I should be able to make due with that lens for a while. Besides, I am starting to really enjoy portraiture so the use of an ultrawide is becoming less of a factor for me.

My Smug Site
  • StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    the 11-16 will work on full frame at 15mm-16mm btw, and still get very good edge to edge sharpness from the results I've seen.

Just saying that since I really do love that lens ;)