http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    [IMG

Neil

This one doesn't really work for me, because I don't get any connection between the guys and the surroundings; I'm not sure what it's about.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    This one doesn't really work for me, because I don't get any connection between the guys and the surroundings; I'm not sure what it's about.

Understand. I was still thinking of you, though!mwink.gif

This is about self-image. The boys shine themselves up just like they do the machines on display here. They conceive of their own beauty in terms of these motorcycles and cars, and they are as much on display.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    NeilL wrote:

This is about self-image. The boys shine themselves up just like they do the machines on display here. They conceive of their own beauty in terms of these motorcycles and cars, and they are as much on display.

Neil

I did pick up on that in your photo. What caught me was their hair styling -- all similar and something they had to spend a lot of time on. Also, they are all wearing "hoodies" and probably trying to look as cool as the vehicles there.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Understand. I was still thinking of you, though!mwink.gif

Neil

That's a really interesting idea, Neill - I think that it would be clearer - for me -if I saw more of what surrounds them. But very insightful.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    I did pick up on that in your photo. What caught me was their hair styling -- all similar and something they had to spend a lot of time on. Also, they are all wearing "hoodies" and probably trying to look as cool as the vehicles there.

That's pretty right, I think. Thanks for the comment!

Neil

• Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    That's a really interesting idea, Neill - I think that it would be clearer - for me -if I saw more of what surrounds them. But very insightful.

Yes, I understand and agree the image is not as strong as it could be. To get better would have meant rearranging the whole exhibition and making everyone very self conscious!

I had the 35mm f1.4 on - what a treasure that is! - using only available light, handheld - no tripod, no flashes going off to create ripples in people's attention (and I was getting all the interesting natural light-shadow illumination), yet still people would step out from the line of my camera sight, when I was trying to get them *precisely* in it!!! Aghh!!!

Neil