New guy looking for some C&C

pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited December 4, 2009 in People
I have been lurking about for awhile and learning as much as I can (it's like trying to drink from a firehose)

Anyway - first couple of foray's into the wonderful world of portraiture and I'd like to see what you folks think

727584078_82a49-L.jpg

727581378_3UHZi-L.jpg

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I like #1 alot. Almost makes me think of a pencil sketch by an artist,,,

#2 is also very good. Apparently you only used one light, so I must give you kudos, one light is hard to use properly for the groups,
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like #1 alot. Almost makes me think of a pencil sketch by an artist,,,

#2 is also very good. Apparently you only used one light, so I must give you kudos, one light is hard to use properly for the groups,

Thanks very much - Yes this was a one light setup - SB900 bounced into an umbrella camera left and high at 45 degrees (more or less). I can't remember if I had someone holding the reflector camera right at this point or not.

Now that I've posted, I can see that I need to work the group shot a bit more to de-emphasize the lines under the eyes, and the cousin (the girls are all cousins) in the center has a couple of minor hotspots that might do with a bit of burning or selective exposure adjustment.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Really good shots, and the fact that you were able to get that overall lighting effect from one source is impressive. Well done!
    edited December 4, 2009
    Really good shots, and the fact that you were able to get that overall lighting effect from one source is impressive. Well done!

Thanks very much.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    I really like 1.
    The second one looks like maybe the light is further away, doesn't look as soft. Leave the shutter open longer or up your iso so you get a less harsh look, try to get a little ambient in there.
    Looks like you had the light positioned properly.
    Remember to watch for where each persons shadow is falling with regard to the other people in the frame, don't let one persons shadow block out someone elses light.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    1 is great.

2 the light is bit harsh (specular highlights everywhere) and a bit flat for my taste.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited December 4, 2009
    Zoomer and Qarik

Thanks - good points there. Appreciate the feedback!