Tree in the field (in HDR)

WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
edited December 1, 2009 in Landscapes
Maybe my 3rd HDR shot ever. I wanted to see if anyone thinks this is remotely cool, or I just have a long way to go! lol I'm shooting mostly weddings and such now, so I'm a little rusty on my landscape knowledge.

I used CS4 for my HDR merge, which I know isn't the best for HDR. I used 3 exposures. I know the foreground grassy stuff is all fuzzy, but it was windy, and it kinda looks cool to me anyway. It shows the wind. Is that a big no no?
I went with monochrome, and tinted a bit. Just shot this today about a mile from my house in Clarksville, TN. (near Nashville)

HDRfieldBW.jpg
Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
My Weddings WebsiteBlog

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I like this a lot....good job. thumb.gif It doesn't scream HDR, but I can see the effort. This would look really cool printed on a stretched canvas.
  • WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Funny, actually I was thinking the same thing. I want to see it on a canvas. I'll probably end up ordering that for myself. Of course, I could probably do better with another try or two, but I don't want to force the issue with myself. I like the shot well enough.
    You are right that it doesn't just oooze HDR. I wish I could get there though.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Weisel wrote:
    You are right that it doesn't just oooze HDR. I wish I could get there though.

I'm trying to figure out what this means. I'm new to HDR photography as well. I see things online that "ooze" HDR and I usually hate them, i.e., think they're overdone.

I mostly think of HDR images as being full of color. I have done a few and then converted them to B&W, when the color range this was not that interesting. But usually, the colors blow me away.

But in general, when I process an image, if I think it looks like it is HDR, I start over again. I want it to look like what my eye saw as I was setting up to take the picture.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited December 1, 2009
    Yeah, to tell the truth, I have no real need for over the top HDR photos in my career. I wish I could at least make them look that way when I want, just so I can have that tool in my box ya know?

But to me, this photo of mine is about as HDR as I need. It looks pretty much like it did when I was there, which one exposure would not do. I like HDR for myself as a way of bringing out more details, not overstating them.
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Weisel wrote:
    Yeah, to tell the truth, I have no real need for over the top HDR photos in my career. I wish I could at least make them look that way when I want, just so I can have that tool in my box ya know?

But to me, this photo of mine is about as HDR as I need. It looks pretty much like it did when I was there, which one exposure would not do. I like HDR for myself as a way of bringing out more details, not overstating them.

Very well said! I think many of us would agree with this, although the nice thing about technology these days is that the one tool gives us something for everyone. :D
    edited December 1, 2009
    :uhoh I think I got in a bit of a hurry to call this one done when I was editing. I just now noticed a huge blunder in some cloning I was doing. Wow, horrible.
    I won't point it out, but suffice it to say, it will be fixed in my final version.

Ack!
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    This is a cool shot with some great movement... I don't particually go for HDR but your treatment here really adds to the overall feeling of the shot if that makes any sense headscratch.gif
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE