All Saints Victoria Anglican Church – starscapes

invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
edited December 3, 2009 in Landscapes
A local photographer and yours truly visited this church and cemetery a couple of weekends ago. It's about half an hour north of Winnipeg, and also a Manitoba provincial heritage site.

I wasn't able to come up with any cool tombstone shots, but at least I managed to bring these back home with me...

p789645985-4.jpg

2. Going nuts in post-processing (as nuts as I can go, anyway...)
p530427714-4.jpg

p79263974-4.jpg

It was a beautiful night for this type of photography, hope you guys and gals enjoy :)
I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
Website / Flickr

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I certainly did enjoy these. You can't go wrong with a beautiful starry sky! And I love the different tones you achieved here. thumb.gif
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Thank you very much, schmoo!

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    The second one is very good thumb.gif
    edited December 2, 2009
    Allan FG wrote:
    The second one is very good thumb.gif
    The second one is my favourite as well. Thank you, Allan!

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    These are so pretty. I couldn't decide my favorite; each has an element of their own. clap.gif
    edited December 2, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    These are so pretty. I couldn't decide my favorite; each has an element of their own. clap.gif
    Thanks, Eia... That sounded like mom :) (Your signature is very cool, by the way.)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Love the shots! Great exposures. Is the lighting from the moon? How are there so many stars if the moon is out in force?

How do you get the stars like that? I looked on your website and found the meta data for them. Any shots that I attempt to make similar always seem to get star trails.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
    edited December 3, 2009
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    Love the shots! Great exposures. Is the lighting from the moon? How are there so many stars if the moon is out in force?
    The lighting is from the moon, which was a crescent moon and was behind us. I can't answer the last part of your question because this was my first time doing this with the proper equipment, so this sky for me is "normal" :)
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    How do you get the stars like that? I looked on your website and found the meta data for them. Any shots that I attempt to make similar always seem to get star trails.
    The key to avoiding star trails is to expose for 30 seconds or less. Your other settings will depend on the max aperture your lens has available and the highest acceptable ISO that your camera has. I once tried this with my Nikon D70s and got more noise than stars. With the D300 things were easier :)

Thanks very much for your comments, sir.

Federico
    Website / Flickr