3 year old + practicing lighting = interesting experience.

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited December 2, 2009 in People
this is what I get for trying to practice lighting with a 3 year old:rofl

Oh well, makes for a funny series anyhow. No pp, just wanted to share my frustrations with you.

btw- I have NO idea what the glove is all about. She is truly a strange child.

Enjoy!

728433718_v8Cmo-L.jpg

728437371_5mBR9-L.jpg

728434752_7d3Kv-L.jpg

728437646_pdHuV-L.jpg

728435072_xNsnv-L.jpg

6. here's her "rockin' out" thing again...
728437148_VmLyP-L.jpg

7. "hold on mom, i have a toenail." nice.
728436759_W7XjL-L.jpg

728434402_qFZrt-L.jpg

9, 10, 11. right before the next three she says, "this is the robot, mommy"
728437995_ZeTTC-L.jpg
728438240_tMUaW-L.jpg
728438534_h2i2A-L.jpg

12. well, I got one semi-normal one although I by this point I couldn't pry the santa out of her hands and never did get to have my lights exactly the way I wanted them, every time I had them in place she moved. stinker.
728434019_R2jzr-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    What a wonderful series.... rolleyes1.gif
    Nice job getting the tree lights well-exposed with your key.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    ha ha, wonderful is an interesting way to describe them :D

thanks Andrew, That's part of what I was trying to practice. Good to know I am on the right track anyway!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    What was your setup? WingsOfLove is looking for some setup info for this in her thread here... http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=151541
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Thank you Andrew for asking your question....I was wondering the same thing and have been waiting for a few more responses in that other thread.

I would print out all of these and put them in a mini album to show her in the future.

8 and 12 turned out nicely........and the rest, especially 1, well they were just funny stuff.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    LOVE.

Melissa, you are going to ADORE the "goofy" pictures in a couple of years.

I did (film) pix of my daughter at about that age and she was a prime PITA that day - DID.NOT.WANT.TO.KNOW. We got one "useable" picture, but the ones I enjoy seeing now? All her expressions rather than the "official" smile. I remember the session, I remember how frustrated I was with her and, most importantly, I look at the big pre-teen kid on the sofa and think, "Where in the HECK did she come from?!" Seriously - save these (join the stampede and do a collage :D) and in 5 years tell me if I'm wrong..... :D

Oh, and yeah - great exposure. Going to tell us how you did it? naughty.gif
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Hey Melissa,
    These are really fun. Man, I love that rockin' pose she does. Just edible! :D I am with Diva on loving the "bad" shots!!! I usually go through and mark all my photos that I love (at the time of processing) and don't "rate" the ones I don't love at the time. A couple of times I've gone back through the unmarked photos (many years later) and found some that I now TREASURE! Funny how perspective changes things. I LOVE going back through old photos now and again to see what strikes me. These are great and exposure excellent. Beautiful tree too! clap.gif
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Thanks all-

so for the setup... we were about 5ft or so from the tree. And of course I used my trusty umbrella and sb600. It started out as just the umbrella, and the intention was to set it to the right, and a little above. Like I said she kept moving and I kept having to move the light. Sometimes it was on the right and then i would try it on the left. But I took a few shots and realized her hair was blending into the tree. So i took my second sb600 and rigged it around my curtain rod (lol) up from the left to point down and from behind her. again, didn't work as planned because she was all over. But in retrospect i should've snooted the second flash to avoid all the spill behind her. I don't know, maybe not.

general settings were this:
    ISO= 800
    S= 1/30 (maybe two at 1/40, i was experimenting)
    f/5 - f/5.6 (bound by the kit)

I was setting the flash power manually, flash power of main I believe was about 1/32 mostly (I was kicking that up and down as well) the light from above I was playing with at around 1/40-1/64.

There ya have it. I just picked different stuff and played until I got an exposure I was happy with. I would've liked the ambiance of the tree to show a little more. I'm going to try it again with my 50 and see if opening it up more makes a difference.

Diva and Kidzmom- I totally know what you mean. I will be practicing or goofing off and get some off the wall pictures but I can't bring myself to delete them, because I think that one day I will want them. Well over 4000 pictures later, I still have them, goofiness and all. man it's going to cost a lot when I finally decide to print them! One of my "ill do it someday" projects. rolleyes1.gif
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Hi Melissa! The last one is my favorite, and would make a very nice christmas card. Kids say and do the funnyist things some times. I wish I would have had a video camera to capture some of the stuff my nephews did when they were growing up, and a tape recorder to record some of the phone conversations I had with my neice when she was around 3!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams