Problem with new 7D

JoshFJoshF Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited December 1, 2009 in Cameras
So my new 7D arrived that I bought on Amazon. I carefully put on the 17-55 2.8 IS and began to check it out. I notice that there's a serious black speck visable in the viewfinder. I changed lenses to see if it was camera or lens and it was still there. I find that the LCD screen is clear and this is only a viewfinder problem. It's very annoying. Next I called Canon tech support and the guy on the phone told me that it's probably dust on my mirror and I should WIPE IT WITH A MICROFIBER CLOTH. OK, I don't know better YET so I proceed. When I check my handywork I see that not only is the black speck still there but now there are some visable smudges that weren't there before. I called Canon tech support again and was told that I never should have wiped it with microfiber. Hello!? You guys just told me to do this???

He said I can send it to Canon and they will fix it and return it in a few weeks. This doesn't work for me because the camera is brand new and has not even taken a picture. I went to a good local photography shop with a repair department today. The guy looked at it, tried unsuccessfully to blow out the blemishes and said I should probably send it to Canon as there's an issue with the back side of the focus screen. He said that on a 7D he can't fix this.

Now I'm upset. I have classes coming up and I can't use my baby because it will be at Canon for a few weeks. Than the lightbulb goes off. I bought this from Amazon and they have a good return policy. I called them and they are returning my camera and sending me a new one. Phew. Thanks Amazon.

Comments

• zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Sorry about your misfortunes, but my experience with Canon repairs is faster than "a few weeks"
    I sent my new 7D in because I felt it wasn't functioning at 100% (images were soft and noisy). They claim to make repairs and return ship in 1 week from the time they receive the camera. In my case they had it for only about 4 days and then next day shipped it back to me. It was out of my hands for 1 week.

Good luck!thumb.gif
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Return for a full refund and get another body. My first copy had focusing problem, and while I could microadjust it, I returned it. The second copy didn't have any problems.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Way to go Josh. Amazon is very good about stuff like this thumb.gif