Options

Highlining in the Rain

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited July 19, 2005 in Sports
Okay, so the weather has been sucky non-stop in the mountains behind my house since spring. Doesn't stop us, but it slows us down some. We went out this weekend and set a highline over Reed Creek. I made two trips out with two groups of friends, and this is the best of what came of it. Quite fun! Enjoy!

There's more randomly placed in http://www.morffed.com/climb/temp if anyone is interested. They're the two series' named "high" and "line". thumb.gif

Devin snaps onto his leash as the line slips through his fingers.
slacklining06.jpg

Travis goes down for a leash fall of his own.
slacklining07.jpg

James (akdirtbag) ties into his leash as the fog drifts by and the other slackers try to stay warm.
life04.jpg

James goes for the catch. He missed this one, but caught quite a few other falls, and gave it serious effort.
slacklining08.jpg

And just to show that it wasn't ALL about falling, here's James on his feet. thumb.gif
line07.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    And just to show that it wasn't ALL about falling, here's James on his feet. thumb.gif
    line07.jpg
    that's about the coolest thing i've seen in some time. what do you do if someone eats it pretty bad out there? you guys anywhere near a medical facility?

that being said, i wonder if anyone is doing slackline stuff here in socalmwink.gif...looks like fun
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    They're all fascinating and that last shot is a real keeper, chillyscale. Nice work! Is the idea to walk for a bit then jump off and catch the rope?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    that's about the coolest thing i've seen in some time. what do you do if someone eats it pretty bad out there? you guys anywhere near a medical facility?

that being said, i wonder if anyone is doing slackline stuff here in socalmwink.gif...looks like fun
    Well the hike out is 45 minutes, so if you get hurt, you'll just have to hurt for a while till we get you to the hospital. We had the usual minor injuries, the worst being Nathan's foot smashing granite, but nothing too serious.

As for socal slackers, there's definitely a lot. It's a climber's sport so far, and socal has a lot of climbing. Chech out Joshua Tree NP and you might be lucky enough to spot someone on a highline, as they go up there periodically. Yosemite NP has one of the most famous ones, the Lost Arrow Spire, which is something like 3000 feet high I believe. Never been there, but I've met folks who've walked it, including the guy who made the FIRST walk. Awesome people, and totally crazy! yelrotflmao.gif
    wxwax wrote:
    They're all fascinating and that last shot is a real keeper, chillyscale. Nice work! Is the idea to walk for a bit then jump off and catch the rope?
    Well the idea is to walk WITHOUT falling. When you've never walked a highline though, the fact that the ground is gone blows your mind. You get used to it after a while, but for all the people in these pics, this was their first time.

Here's a shot of me taken by Devin. I'm sure akdirtbag will show up here sooner or later with HIS pics. xzicon_smile_cool.gif

high13.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Thanks. That's a nice pic and you're waaaay too skinny. :bluduh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au