Some new senior portraits...

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited December 1, 2009 in People
These are my latest, a girl named Liz. Got to try out some new things, like seamless paper and some high key stuff (not on seamless, just a white wall and some tile board on the floor). We also got to do some outdoor stuff and I broke out the Lensbaby for a few shots. Have a look; C&C welcome:

726503204_svhnh-L.jpg

726506657_XaejM-L.jpg

726507550_7ED9q-L.jpg

726506100_rscaw-L.jpg

726497154_udfeZ-L.jpg

726509589_t6RSw-L.jpg

726510803_KjJqu-L.jpg

726511458_qy3YC-L.jpg

Comments

• rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Very pretty young lady with some gorgeous eyes. Nice series too!

Only thing I see that you need to change is all shots are looking straight into the camera and all expressions are basically the same. Add some variety in expression as well as where you subject looks.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Nice job, Tim.

#1. Really nice shot. Looks like you have a mis-edit on the side of her nose, though.
    #2. Really love this one. I just wish her eye were sharper.
    #3. Very nice lensbaby shot!
    #4. Her eyes aren't doing it for me her. They feel droopy.
    #5. I really like how this one is lit!! Nicely done.
    #6. Not sure how I feel on this one. Shadows seems a little harsh, and the trumpet is clipped.
    #7. Very nice!
    #8. Very, very nice. Like this one best of the white background shots. Only little nit is that the blue in her hair, since only a very little is visible, looks like a color shift. I don't know if you'd want to just make it black, or leave it as is. Either way, I like this one a lot!

Thanks for posting these!!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    DoooOOOoood - number your pix! I'm dying to respond, but being a Bear of Very Little Brain today, you're making me think too hard to count them every time :D

Lovin' the lensbaby shots. A LOT. Those are my favorite of the set, I think (#2 and 3, I guess).

The one with the trumpet and the one just above it don't work as well as some of the others IMO because she's almost square to camera, and she's a slumper too - she's collapsed into her hips, which makes her look rather apologetic. Classic teen posture, but it doesn't do them any favours! She's also slumping a bit in the longshot in the field, but there it's not so noticeable (the hands hooked in pockets change the overall look, I guess?) I like that one a lot.

The HK shots seem fine photographically to me, but that is one seriously not-pretty dress (that doesn't really flatter her skin tone, either). A matter of taste, I suppose, but definitely not a look for me.

Your lighting is, as always, glorious. I aspire to such consistency!
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Mr. Kamppinen;

I really dig your lighting but am not-so liking how this lady is presented. Most shots give me a feeling of being "over-done" in PS (or???) and the lady is shot pretty much head on. Of all, I do like the HK images best.

.... Far from "crap sandwiches" but so close to being "wowzers", they beg for being better. mwink.gif
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Mr. Kamppinen;

I really dig your lighting but am not-so liking how this lady is presented. Most shots give me a feeling of being "over-done" in PS (or???) and the lady is shot pretty much head on. Of all, I do like the HK images best.

.... Far from "crap sandwiches" but so close to being "wowzers", they beg for being better. mwink.gif

15524779-Ti.gif , a touch overcooked but still great shots. I'm really digging the blue hair! The 4th and last shots are my favorite.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    rhondavid wrote:
    Only thing I see that you need to change is all shots are looking straight into the camera and all expressions are basically the same. Add some variety in expression as well as where you subject looks.

I agree. This girl couldn't seem to pull off a serious look to save her life, though. Believe me, I tried... But she did have a great smile and was good at that so I just rolled with it after a while. I did put some of the "serious shots" in her gallery but I kinda doubt they'll be ordered because they didn't look all that convincing.

It's not a mis-edit on her nose, she has a mole there that is very distinctive and I didn't want to just remove it because it's obviously a permanent feature of her face.

Thanks for the feedback, I know I need to work on more creative posing and shots that aren't just looking directly at the camera.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    woohoo! tim this is great stuff! clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com