Options

Make your own memory books

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited December 2, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I forget what I was searching for, but ran across a link for a site that sells a kit for making memory books that seems to be resonably priced. The web address is: https://www.4yourstory.com/index.asp

If anyone has a better option for DIY memory books, please post your recommendations and/or links here. I'd be interested to find out if anyone found something better than what I found, before I went with this one. It is looking like I'll be the track photographer at one of the local drag strips next season, and I'm trying to put together various options for on site sales. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Laminated pages? You want to do this on-site at a drag strip? Can I ask why do this rather than go through an Internet order site like Blurb or iPhoto?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    This is a great idea for someone who wants to make gifts for people, or someone who is a scrapbooker. If you want to make photo books to sell to clients or other avenues, you would be better off using a company like Blurb.com. I've never personally used them to make a book but I know people who make their own photo books and sell them through the Blurb marketplace. They are very good quality. There are even more companies that people here have used. This doesn't look like something a pro photographer would use for commercial purposes. For home use thought $124.95 is a great price for the kit they advertise.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    Well, I'm looking to do on site sales, that clients can take with them same day. The previous photographer quit because he was relying on web sales, and he felt he wasn't selling enough prints. I'm looking at doing on site printing, and anything else I can do to help generate sales. In my mind, it's worth at least giving it a try. If it goes over well, then that's more profit for me, as I will have eliminated the middle man, and the client will be going home with something that they might not have purchased from a website, because they are not on the internet in the first place.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Well, I'm looking to do on site sales, that clients can take with them same day.
    Then do on-site sales, but off-site fulfillment. The important thing is to get their MONEY at the race. Deliver the product later. On-site printing is one thing, but I really can't image on-site book binding, that is too much work. I also don't think a photo book will sell to that crowd anyway.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Then do on-site sales, but off-site fulfillment. The important thing is to get their MONEY at the race. Deliver the product later. On-site printing is one thing, but I really can't image on-site book binding, that is too much work. I also don't think a photo book will sell to that crowd anyway.

Most of the people around here want something put in their hand when they put their hard earned money in your hand. It's either on site printing, or I have to run the risk of printing and paying for it out of my pocket, and hope they decide to return to pay and pick up their prints. I think it is best to do the on site printing and getting paid that day. Some people don't go to the track every week, and it's likely if it's several weeks till they return, they will have lost that desire for a certain print, that other wise you could have sold when they wanted it.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Most of the people around here want something put in their hand when they put their hard earned money in your hand. It's either on site printing, or I have to run the risk of printing and paying for it out of my pocket, and hope they decide to return to pay and pick up their prints.

Which is why I said its important to get their money at the track.... ;)
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Which is why I said its important to get their money at the track.... ;)

People around here won't pay until you put a product in their hand. You wouldn't pay a car dealership the full amount for a new car, and have to wait 2 months to get it. Especially now knowing that the manufacturer could file bankrupcy any time after they get your money, and then your out your money. That is why I'm leaning towards on site printing.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    People around here won't pay until you put a product in their hand. You wouldn't pay a car dealership the full amount for a new car, and have to wait 2 months to get it. Especially now knowing that the manufacturer could file bankrupcy any time after they get your money, and then your out your money. That is why I'm leaning towards on site printing.

GaryB

I'm not going to argue with you over what people in your part of the woods will or will not do. But I think the example of a car dealership is a bit over the top, as there is a vast difference in the amount of money at risk. I pay for items I order from Amazon before they arrive after all.

However, I still doubt that a racing crowd is going to be into picture books. And if want to do a photo book well you're talking page layout design, not just plunking down photos on a page, if you want to do it well. Why not just do on-site 4x6's through 8x10s and take orders (and money) for larger prints that you make and mail later?

I think you're making this more difficult and complex than it needs to be.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    I'm not trying to make it harder or too complex, just looking at various options to get on site sales that would be other wise lost, because not everyone is on the internet, and most buy on the spur of the moment. If I can find the proper software, I'd like to build something like the KIOSK's at the 1 hour labs, where they can view the photos and pick the ones they want printed at 4x6 or 8x10, and do the pages for a photobook themselves if that is what they want. All I would have to do is put the book together. I won't know if it will go over or not till I give it a try, and I think it is at least worth giving it a shot. If it don't work out, I won't be out as much as I would be out of sales if it does go over. I have been reading the other threads on on-site printing, and most are saying they are doing better, printing on-site than web based. Some are saying that most of their sales are for prints that they can get same day, with a few that fulfill orders at a later date, but the majority are saying on-site printing works the best for them. As I said in my first post in this tread, the previous photographer quit because his sales (web based) were too low. I will probably offer both, on-site printing and take orders and fulfill later, but I would like to prove to myself which way will generate more sales.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I'm not trying to make it harder or too complex, just looking at various options to get on site sales that would be other wise lost, because not everyone is on the internet, and most buy on the spur of the moment.
    Its the book-binding-thing being on-site that I think is too complex. A motocross photographer who taught me a lot told me that on-site sales was key, with on-site printing being icing. That web-only will not generate a lot of sales. That is pretty much what you've figured out as well. But on-site viewing of photos, printing of photos, taking of money, might be a bit more work than you think it will be. Which is why I suggest holding off on on-site books and concentrate only on taking orders and money and fulfilling some print orders on-site at first.

Will you be taking credit cards? Fortunately in this day of Blackberries and iPhones doing that is easier and cheaper than it was a few years ago.

If you have any marketing data that says that photo books will actually sell I'd like to hear it. I'm skeptical myself, but if I'm wrong about that then I need to start thinking about that as well.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Its the book-binding-thing being on-site that I think is too complex. A motocross photographer who taught me a lot told me that on-site sales was key, with on-site printing being icing. That web-only will not generate a lot of sales. That is pretty much what you've figured out as well. But on-site viewing of photos, printing of photos, taking of money, might be a bit more work than you think it will be. Which is why I suggest holding off on on-site books and concentrate only on taking orders and money and fulfilling some print orders on-site at first.

Will you be taking credit cards? Fortunately in this day of Blackberries and iPhones doing that is easier and cheaper than it was a few years ago.

If you have any marketing data that says that photo books will actually sell I'd like to hear it. I'm skeptical myself, but if I'm wrong about that then I need to start thinking about that as well.

I know it will be a lot of work, and I'm preparing myself for that. As for the marketing data on the photo books, I have none, since no one does this type of thing in this area. I am leaning more towards mid season, or close to the end of the season to start offering the photo books, but will advertise that they will be available. That way I'll have enough of a variety of shots of each drag racer & their cars to be able to produce a photo book that might interest them. As far as credit cards go, I haven't given it that much thought yet, maybe I should. To start out, I will be setup in the souvineer stand, and if they take credit cards, maybe I can work out a deal with the track owner for people that want to pay via a credit card, that they can do so through the souvineer stand. I do know that if this takes off, I'm going to have to hire an assistant to help man the booth. I do know that most of my clients will be the car owners and crew members, with some spectators thrown in. I've been also questioned whether I'll have poster sized prints available, so that is another option I need to think about for off site printing. The track owner sponsors several cars and has expressed an interest in some custom photos for advertisement and to put on shirts for the team members of each car. I just need to keep and open mind and listen to what they want and do my best to provide it.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    If your intended clientele are not willing to pay in advance for a professional quality product to be delivered at a resonably later date then I would pass on the project......even if you go to a clothing store and buy a suit...9.9999 times out of 10 it will have to be altered and you pay for it ALL in advance prior to pick up (unless you know the shop owner very well and the owner is comfortable not being paid up front.....and this has been done since their were tailors....you're car gets worked on you pay the mechanic before driving away with your car......there are tons of service industries that demand pre-payment) ......OR..get a sample book to show take a deposit large enuff to cover the cost of the book and get final payment upon deliver..........

I shoot weddings and portraits and it is all paid for inadvance...whether from the elite of the city or the those in the ghetto.....in cash.....or by paypal invoice for credit cards or e-check.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website