create a card?

thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited December 4, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
i am logged in and do not see the "buy" button...is this because of some customization i have set, or something else?

www.jeremyking.com

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    i am logged in and do not see the "buy" button...is this because of some customization i have set, or something else?

www.jeremyking.com
    Do you see it logged out? Do you have printing turned on? It has to be on
    for the button to show, logged in or out doesn't matter unless you hide the
    button with CSS.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    OMG! yes, i had printing turned off...thanks! thumb.gif
    edited December 1, 2009
    instead of creating another thread, i'll continue in here - hope it doesn't get buried...

i was attempting to create a 4x8 holiday card and the photo is too big for every card template but maybe 2...is that normal? i've tried the resize dialog in the card designer, but the image is already at it's smallest...how do i use a full photo (in portrait orientation) in cards that are oriented in portrait?ne_nau.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    instead of creating another thread, i'll continue in here - hope it doesn't get buried...

i was attempting to create a 4x8 holiday card and the photo is too big for every card template but maybe 2...is that normal? i've tried the resize dialog in the card designer, but the image is already at it's smallest...how do i use a full photo (in portrait orientation) in cards that are oriented in portrait?ne_nau.gif
    what photo (link) and what card (specifically and exactly)?
    edited December 1, 2009
    edited December 1, 2009
    fyi, that's just a proof and not the final image...i was just playing with the card feature and had issues..
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    fyi, that's just a proof and not the final image...i was just playing with the card feature and had issues..
    I'm not sure I understand the problem, sorry! I went to the image, selected the template and without adjusting a thing, this is what I see:

20091202-dhsew8mme5b3ak4nst9mun1sax.jpg

The photo slot is a bit more square than your photo so the bottom part of your photo is dropped off, but I could scoot it up easily. Where were you running into trouble?

-Anne
    edited December 2, 2009
    As you can see, the photo doesn't fit. They'd like all of the photo - them and the dogs. Is it not possible with this design? I've found only a couple Holiday portrait oriented templates that do fit.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    As you can see, the photo doesn't fit. They'd like all of the photo - them and the dogs. Is it not possible with this design? I've found only a couple Holiday portrait oriented templates that do fit.
    Jeremy, you can't make this photo fit in the space on that card, Sorry!
    edited December 2, 2009
    thought so...is this template available for slight modifications? meaning, could i get a psd file so that i can enlarge the area where the photo goes and keep everything else the same?
    edited December 2, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    Edit a 2nd copy of the original to that ratio by adding a white border on
    both sides and use the new uploaded version for the card.

I would d/l this created card and add a layer with a new center layer showing larger photo.
    Then upload new version.
    edited December 2, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Edit a 2nd copy of the original to that ratio by adding a white border on
    both sides and use the new uploaded version for the card.

I would d/l this created card and add a layer with a new center layer showing larger photo.
    Then upload new version.

you've lost me here a little..."edit a 2nd copy..." you mean just put a border around the photo, correct? no problem, can do...

"i would d/l this created..." that's what i'm not understanding...is this another option rather than putting a border around the photo, or something else? headscratch.gif
    edited December 2, 2009
    here's what i've done (hope this is ok)....i went to the card at cards.smugmug.com and grabbed a link (no O link, so i got X3) and dropped that in PS...the downside - the X3 image is half the size recommended for creating your own card (1200x600 instead of 2400x1200)...so i just doubled the image size...

will this hurt quality? also, like i said, is this ok to do - download that image file and utilize like this? i haven't posted to gallery yet, so if this is not allowed, i will scrap...
    edited December 2, 2009
    bump...

will doing what i listed above degrade quality? ^^ since i didn't "create" this myself (i used the SM template and modified it) is this ok?

and lastly, i have at least temporarily added this to the gallery...so now i want to make this available to buy as a card...do i click on buy to create a card, or just set the prices for this image (which is my completed card) for cards only? i'm guessing that's correct and i'm gonna try it now...

in the meantime, if someone can answer the first couple questions, that would be perfect...i'd like to make this available as soon as possible, so your response is greatly appreciated...
    edited December 3, 2009
    i hope someone at SM can look at the last couple posts i've put here and answer this big question - will doing what i did (doubling the template size that is available at cards.smugmug.com) degrade the quality of card when printed? headscratch.gif

that's all i really care to have answered, really...
    edited December 3, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    i hope someone at SM can look at the last couple posts i've put here and answer this big question - will doing what i did (doubling the template size that is available at cards.smugmug.com) degrade the quality of card when printed? headscratch.gif

that's all i really care to have answered, really...
    Use the save in the photobar to download the original. Edit that and re-upload.
    edited December 3, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Use the save in the photobar to download the original. Edit that and re-upload.
    not seeing a save...i got the link from the share button...if i click on the photo (is that the photobar, not sure what the is?) i only get up to size X3...and X3 is half the recommended size....
    edited December 3, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    not seeing a save...i got the link from the share button...if i click on the photo (is that the photobar, not sure what the is?) i only get up to size X3...and X3 is half the recommended size....
    I see the photobar in the galleries set to Smugmug style. Logged in you
    should the save icon on it.
    edited December 3, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    I see the photobar in the galleries set to Smugmug style. Logged in you
    should the save icon on it.
    so you're saying in my gallery look for the save button and not at cards.smugmug.com? my cards gallery is a slideshow and i only have "add photos" "tools" "themes" "share" and "slideshow"....
    edited December 3, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    Is something like this what you are looking for? Created card, d/l'ed and edited to add photo.
    Used the Medium you linked to but you would use the original.

730725295_Vr8hV-L.jpg
    edited December 3, 2009
    that's exactly what i did, but used the X3...i cannot find a link for the original...that's why i was wondering if the X3 would be of poorer quality than the original because i do not have the original...
    edited December 3, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    so you're saying in my gallery look for the save button and not at cards.smugmug.com? my cards gallery is a slideshow and i only have "add photos" "tools" "themes" "share" and "slideshow"....
    Go to any gallery and create the card using any photo. Then in the /My-SmugMug-Creations/Cards gallery that Smugmug creates save the original newly created card. Open in PS or other photo editing program and add the original photo to a layer with a white background. Resize photo to correct size and copy the text on the card and paste it to the layer with the photo. Crop off white background. Save with no compression and upload to /My-SmugMug-Creations/Cards gallery.
    edited December 3, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    that's exactly what i did, but used the X3...i cannot find a link for the original...that's why i was wondering if the X3 would be of poorer quality than the original because i do not have the original...
    Wherever the photo is change to Smugmug style temporarily and click save icon in photobar. Or you could also use the original photo that you uploaded.
    edited December 3, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Go to any gallery and create the card using any photo. Then in the /My-SmugMug-Creations/Cards gallery that Smugmug creates save the original newly created card. Open in PS or other photo editing program and add the original photo to a layer with a white background. Resize photo to correct size and copy the text on the card and paste it to the layer with the photo. Crop off white background. Save with no compression and upload to /My-SmugMug-Creations/Cards gallery.
    ok, ok...so create a card and save the original from there...i was attempting to save the original from the cards link....that's what i'll do, create a card (who cares which image), save the original file size, then do my adjustment...
    Allen wrote:
    Wherever the photo is change to Smugmug style temporarily and click save icon in photobar. Or you could also use the original photo that you uploaded.
    ok, see i think that's where we were talking in circles...i was talking about saving the card template and you were talking about saving a photo...i think we're on the same wavelength now....

thanks for your help Allen!!
    edited December 3, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    ok, ok...so create a card and save the original from there...i was attempting to save the original from the cards link....that's what i'll do, create a card (who cares which image), save the original file size, then do my adjustment...

ok, see i think that's where we were talking in circles...i was talking about saving the card template and you were talking about saving a photo...i think we're on the same wavelength now....

thanks for your help Allen!!
    No, I was talking about saving the created card. Once you have the card
    you can add any text/photos you want. The size is set for printing so after
    editing upload it back to the card gallery.

If you don't have the photo on your pc you can download the original and
    paste it on your card in editing.
    edited December 3, 2009
    yeah i got it now that i realized we were talking about saving two different things...created the card, saved it, modified it and have since uploaded it back to the gallery...

on another note - what about the sharpening settings? if it's only cards, should i clear those values, or allow sharpening?
    edited December 3, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    yeah i got it now that i realized we were talking about saving two different things...created the card, saved it, modified it and have since uploaded it back to the gallery...

on another note - what about the sharpening settings? if it's only cards, should i clear those values, or allow sharpening?
    I think sharpening is only for the display copies, does nothing to the original.
    edited December 3, 2009
    yeah, i found out after i posted that...hope stupid questions are ok. :bash
  • ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    So now that developers have some free time (thanks for the coupon module), are they going to fix this card thing? mwink.gif
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    So now that developers have some free time (thanks for the coupon module), are they going to fix this card thing? mwink.gif

mwink.gif

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero