Challenge 43 A curve or two

Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
edited July 20, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I decided to wade into the deep end of the pool and ask for comments, suggestions, and such. Go easy on me. I bleed easily. :uhoh

Still searching for something curvy in Nature or Man-Made, but in the meantime I've been playing around with different home-grown shots. This is a 30 second "painting with light" shot. Don't think I'll ever get it to be perfect. Tried different exposures... different light washes.

Worthy? Worthless? Worthwhile?

Curves In Motion

28855317-L.jpg
My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Hi Blue,
    I think it's a really cool shot. The exposure is good, the colors are pleasing and it's curvy. The symmetry is also very pleasing. I personally don't know what more you are wanting. If you don't want the shot, can I borrow it for the challenge:D. That shot would look nice in a metallic finish hanging on the wall.

For me, it's a successful shot. High cool factor but little emotional impact which isn't a bad thingthumb.gif.

Again, just my .02 worth,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    I like it. It's got lots of curves and it's got motion too. Right on point for this challenge. A well executed image.thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    I agree with Higgmeister and snapapple. I like the shot, it makes you wonder "How'd they do that?".
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • amunsieamunsie Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    I'm really diggin' this shot!

Fits the theme no problem, then add the colors and implied motion - what's not to like!

My favorite so far. :cool
    Macs Rule, Wintels drool

www.photograpbybywoodrock.com
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 20, 2005
  • Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Thanks all. Really appreciate your comments.
    And I’m humbled by all the kind words. Going from Film to Digital has placed me in a rapid learning curve. I use to be one of “those people” who thought Digital was just a worthless expensive toy. Not anymore. Higgmeister…. I’ll trade you the shot for a piece of glass. Nothing fancy. Any long “L” lens will work. :D

How? The setup. I’ve been playing with “Painting with Light” for a couple of months. I’ve never tried it with a moving object till now. Need to shoot in a place with very low ambient light. Use black background (foam board….etc) to hopefully absorb any stray light. The object is one of those neon retro things that consists of four curves that weave between each other as the move. Using 30 second exposure I used a penlight flashlight and washed the objects as they moved. You can see where the light was focused a little too long and not quite enough. On this version I mainly focused the light from above aiming straight down and moving it to follow the movement/range of the spinning things.

It’s not “perfect” but I guess nothing in life is. I’ve been having quite a bit of fun with this challenge. Still plan on working on some other shots. If for no other reason than to challenge myself. It’s a healthy diversion to get the creative juices flowing.

My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange