HDR imaging

HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited December 2, 2009 in Landscapes
anyone have advice on a good book or tutorial on taking HDR landscape images? I looked around in the tutorial area and didnt see anything.

thanks
http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...

Comments

• HDShooterHDShooter Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    I have not used a book to learn HDR. I sat with Kdog for about 20 minutes. He showed me what he knew at that time and I went from there.

I think the first question is do you want to use HDR to get better dynamic range and keep the image looking natural or are you looking to achieve the 'HDR' look?

There are probably hundreds of tutorials online including youtube visual tutorials. There are also several photographers that routinely post HDR images here on dgrin.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 2, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Art, did you actually read all those? eek7.gif And if so, did you list them in the order which you recommend them?

I'm surprised you missed this one, which I highly recommend: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Dynamic-Digital-Photography/dp/1600591965/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259781235&sr=8-11

That tutorial that HDShooter recommended is a good one.

There are really only a few things that are important in HDR.

1) Capture. Make sure you capture the entire range of the scene. The increment between exposures is not as important as making sure you capture the range. An EV step of 2 stops will usually work fine, and is sometimes better than an EV step of 1 stop which many people insist upon.

2) The job ain't done until you post-process the tone-mapped image in Photoshop. You will never achieve those fantastic looking images you see straight out of the HDR tool.

3) Manual merging with other images. We use HDR tools because they're easier to do than manual merging. However, the very best HDRs you see are often times merged back with an original image or two to make up for shortcomings in the HDR processing.

4) Experiment. There is no cookbook on making HDRs. Every one is different, and you need to develop your own style which also depends on your style of shooting. Experiment. Lots.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    I wasnt doing anything in particular today so I figured I would learn how to do HDR images... :)..

I just want to take my pics to a higher level, I am not sure I wanna do the full blown out cartoon-esk HDR images.. but I want to be able to make what my eye sees in to what that camera receives.

thanks for the tutorial link, I am reading it now, just wanted some books because I am a "why" type of person. I went out at lunch today and picked up a few. thanks for the input peeps...

Howitzer.
    http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...