Color Shifts When Pro9000 Prints Dry

TexMan_D70TexMan_D70 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 5, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
G-day everyone, I am new to this forum and I have a question about how my Canon Pro9000 printer prints that I have not been able to figure out.

As I mentioned, I have a Canon Pro9000 that I send images from Photoshop CS3. I use Adobe1980 color profile and the standard Canon icc printer profile (when I print on Canon papers). I mostly use Canon brand inks on their glossy photo paper, but I also use Ilford, Inkpress, etc. I calibrate my monitor with a Spyder and generally my prints look great coming out of my printer.

However as they dry, I see the colors shift more to the yellow-green side. After the prints have dried overnight, they look a bit duller than how they appear on my monitor. If I print on matte paper, the colors seem to have too much yellow.

I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong when I print. I have used "Manual" and "ICC" color management but can't tell if it makes a difference. Can anyone give me advice as to how I should approach this problem to figure it out.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 2, 2009
    I've had problems in the past with non-Canon brand inks. That would be my first guess.

Regards,
    -joel
  • TexMan_D70TexMan_D70 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2009
    Thanks for your suggestion Joel, I use only Canon inks in my printer. I have looked online but did not find any non-Canon inks for the Pro9000.

I have noticed that if I stacked prints from the printer and looked at them the next day, the colors are shifted to the yellow-green side and the prints lack any snap.

Could the temperature/humidity/airflow around the prints during drying make a difference???

kdog wrote:
    I've had problems in the past with non-Canon brand inks. That would be my first guess.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Which paper brands exhibit this problem? Also I don't understand what you mean by '"Manual" and "ICC" color management'" Are you using the correct paper profiles for each paper type? Adobe RBG is not a profile but rather a colorspace, so perhaps your grasp of color management needs some additional homework?

M
  • TexMan_D70TexMan_D70 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2009
    Hi Miguel,

I use a lot of the Canon, Photo Paper Plus Glossy II when I print 4x6 print and this is where I see most of the color shifts. When I wrote my original post, I was trying to put as much information as possible but it was past midnight and I was a little sloppy about the details.

When I had meant by "Manual" was not letting the printer do the color matching. By "ICC color management" I was referring to the printer profile in Photoshop, I was using the "Canon Pro9000 PR1" printer profile. I'm still trying to keep the terms straight, so bear with me, I'm still learning.

When I print pictures on my Pro9000, they look just like the image on my monitor. I have read the instructions for the paper from Canon, they talk about the printer settings but not about drying conditions. Yesterday evening, I printed a group of pictures from my wife's birthday party and wanted to be as consistent as possible so I can describe what I saw better. The prints start out looking like my monitor but over a span of 1-2 hours the reds seem to acquire a green or brown tint and facial colors seem to become a little green or yellow. Then the colors start to shift back to their original tints. Where I noticed my worst results in the past were when I stacked my prints as they came out of the printer. The tints did not seem to shift back to their original tones.

I recently did some research on the internet about printing problems and found postings that spoke about letting prints dry correctly. What I observed the other evening seemed to follow those postings.

I hope this explains my early comments.

Tony

Which paper brands exhibit this problem? Also I don't understand what you mean by '"Manual" and "ICC" color management'" Are you using the correct paper profiles for each paper type? Adobe RBG is not a profile but rather a colorspace, so perhaps your grasp of color management needs some additional homework?

M
    edited December 5, 2009
    Thanks for the background.
    You sure that you are not supposed to use the SP profiles? I don't use my Canon for art output, but I recall SP applies to glossy paper. But I may well be wrong.

Dye-based prints like yours tend to need a few days to dry and stabilize separately. But it looks like you are figuring this out well.

Terminology: when you don't let Photoshop or Lightroom manage the color output, it is called "printer color management," or something like that rolleyes1.gif; when you do let Photoshop or Lightroom manage the color output it's called "application color management." These use the specific paper+printer profiles.

I prefer the latter, though for B&W output I prefer the printer to run things.

M
    TexMan_D70 wrote:
    Hi Miguel,

I use a lot of the Canon, Photo Paper Plus Glossy II when I print 4x6 print and this is where I see most of the color shifts. When I wrote my original post, I was trying to put as much information as possible but it was past midnight and I was a little sloppy about the details.

When I had meant by "Manual" was not letting the printer do the color matching. By "ICC color management" I was referring to the printer profile in Photoshop, I was using the "Canon Pro9000 PR1" printer profile. I'm still trying to keep the terms straight, so bear with me, I'm still learning.

When I print pictures on my Pro9000, they look just like the image on my monitor. I have read the instructions for the paper from Canon, they talk about the printer settings but not about drying conditions. Yesterday evening, I printed a group of pictures from my wife's birthday party and wanted to be as consistent as possible so I can describe what I saw better. The prints start out looking like my monitor but over a span of 1-2 hours the reds seem to acquire a green or brown tint and facial colors seem to become a little green or yellow. Then the colors start to shift back to their original tints. Where I noticed my worst results in the past were when I stacked my prints as they came out of the printer. The tints did not seem to shift back to their original tones.

I recently did some research on the internet about printing problems and found postings that spoke about letting prints dry correctly. What I observed the other evening seemed to follow those postings.

I hope this explains my early comments.

Tony
    edited December 5, 2009
    Just as a follow up, the proper paper profile for the Photo Paper Plus Glossy II paper is the GL setting.
    This may help explain something here.

M