exposure vs flash compensation

JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited December 2, 2009 in Technique
Is there a difference between the exposure and flash compensation? Just wondering as i'm learning my sb600 on my d90. I know they both adjust the brightness in the photo, but is there a time to use one over the other? It just seems like its the same function:dunno:dunno:dunno
Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Kinky Friedman

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Exposure compensation adjusts the entire picture. If you have a near subject and a distant background like a sunset, exposure compensation will make both darker or lighter.

Flash compensation adjusts flash output only. In the sunset example, if you only change flash compensation, the amount of light hitting the subject will change, but areas not reached by the flash can't change...you can't use flash compensation to change the distant sunset. So you can use flash compensation to adjust the ratio of the flash to ambient light levels. On my point-and-shoot I usually leave flash compensation reduced slightly to avoid the blown out look without making the background too dark.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Jwar wrote:
    Is there a difference between the exposure and flash compensation? Just wondering as i'm learning my sb600 on my d90. I know they both adjust the brightness in the photo, but is there a time to use one over the other? It just seems like its the same functionne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif

Example 1: fill flash
    you will only want to use FV for this.

Example 2: if you are in a programmed mode like P,A,S then EC will actually change your shutter or aperture to adjust fo rthe EC. The FV does not change anything except your flash output strength.

Example 3: if you are in manual mode, EC does nothing to effect shutter or apeture though it will change your flash output within the range of the flash power. FV will still change your flash output strength independently on top of that.

You need to be able to adjust both independently because as a photogrpaher you want to be able to control ambient vs flash lighting ratios.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    thanks Qarik and Colourbox! Your explanations help.
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman