Need Help Deciding

mtbparkermtbparker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited December 3, 2009 in People
Well, it's that time of year again and we need to choose a picture for the Christmas cards. I'm having a tough time making the choice. Any inputs would be very helpful.

726407406_AUZx7-L.jpg

727453415_UJUha-L.jpg

Seriously though. I went on a little, unplanned portrait adventure this weekend. I'm in the market to buy a good lens. I went up to Penn Camera to rent a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8. But while I was there, I ended up talking to the guy somewhat and not only came home with the lens, but a whole bunch of portrait studio equipment -- backdrops, light stands, extra lights, softboxes, etc. You name it, I borrowed it. ;)

I was having a heck of a time. I had all this great stuff, but everything was coming out flat and pretty boring. (as in image #3). I must admit that I felt like a passenger sitting in the cockpit of a Boeing 737 as I stood behind all this equipment. So many buttons and not real sure what to do with it all. But I figured I knew enough to create what I wanted. I got so frustrated at one point, I just about packed all the gear back up and returned it.

But... BUT... I finally turned the corner with one simple, tiny little setting -- rear curtain, slow-sync flash. Wow! What a difference. It really brought out the glow of the Christmas tree lights, and it had all sorts of other cool results -- the touch of glow on her hair and the glow on the backdrop.

So, here are three samples: 1 before and two after (#4 & #5). I don't claim any artistic innovation in these shots. But more, I just wanted to share a little bit of my learning process. By the time I finally had to return the gear, I was very happy with what I had done.

I hope you like them. C&C always appreciated.

#3 (post edit: #3 changed to remove a boob-age mishap. ;) )
724641431_RJtTt-L.jpg

726279965_5B3Ua-L.jpg

726366650_a69fa-L.jpg
Tom Parker

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
  • mtbparkermtbparker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Thanks for the pick Zoomer.

I wish I had one of him laughing as well. But by the time I had all the other elements in place, he had clearly lost patience with Dad. :)

I have this one. But, I hadn't gotten the lighting squared away yet.

726392191_nvrqL-L.jpg
    Tom Parker
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Of the presented, I like 1, 3 and 5 the best, but,,,,,,, I don't think it appropriate for "peek-a-boo" shots (boobs-n-cleave) for what you're wanting - This is just my opinion and I think these selected shots a quite nice. thumb.gif
    edited December 3, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Of the presented, I like 1, 3 and 5 the best, but,,,,,,, I don't think it appropriate for "peek-a-boo" shots (boobs-n-cleave) for what you're wanting - This is just my opinion and I think these selected shots a quite nice. thumb.gif

oh dear... you're right. oops. A mistake on my part.
    Tom Parker
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    No. 1 and thanks
    I like the first one best -- nice shot, cute kid.

Thanks for the examples on the flash work. Trying to learn everything I can and had read about that, but haven't looked at examples of it in action -- sure helps to understand that kind of stuff a little better. Nice work.
    edited December 3, 2009
    toddb wrote:
    I like the first one best -- nice shot, cute kid.

Thanks for the examples on the flash work. Trying to learn everything I can and had read about that, but haven't looked at examples of it in action -- sure helps to understand that kind of stuff a little better. Nice work.

Thanks. I'm glad you like it. I'm glad I could help out too. I definitely feel like I'm taking more than giving from these forums. It's good to return the favor.

BTW, to everyone else watching, I'm not sure I'll be using any of these for a Christmas card. It'd be nice to have a family shot. I just thought that outtake in #2 was so funny, I had to share it. Asking for a choice between one and two is just the result of my warped sense of humor. :D
    Tom Parker
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    I really love the setup for that 1st shot. Perfect lighting and wonderful photo! He's a cute little guy. He looks to be somewhere b/w 8-10 months... I have a 10 month old and I know it isn't easy to keep them still! He is super cute! The 2nd post with the photo of him smiling is great too, but it is much darker. Any chance of working with that shot in PP? The first one is precious at any rate and all 3 of your wife are wonderful! Not a bad one in the bunch. The Christmas tree lights in the last 2 with her are splendid and I love what the slow sync did to the bg! Thanks for sharing!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Bring your white point up on the laughing one and I think it would probably look pretty good.
    edited December 3, 2009
    Thanks again, both, for the inputs. As far as age, he's just a touch older -- about ready for his first birthday.

On the picture of him laughing, I'll see what I can do. I've already had to go heavy on a few of the sliders to drag that one out of the mud as far as I did. But there may still be some more I can do such as bringing up the white point as you suggest Zoomer.

Tom
    Tom Parker