Options

Kind of a Noobish Question

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited December 5, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
but is there any way to know when you crop a picture in pp if its going to fit into the traditional print sizes, without much cropping needed by the buyer?

Ive had some instances where customers BARELY were able to crop without touching the main subject. I crop things for effect and balance, but if the customers have to crop even more at purchase, it kind of kills some pictures.
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:
    but is there any way to know when you crop a picture in pp if its going to fit into the traditional print sizes, without much cropping needed by the buyer?

Really depends on what you consider traditional.

If you want the 4x5, 8x10, 16x20 sequence use 3552x2832 pixels. No cropping.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:

Just make sure the dimensions of your crop have the same ratio as the intended print size and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    In photoshop you can put in the crop ratio 4x6 8x10 whatever.

Then when you resize it will give you a box you can drag around till it looks ok to you.

If you don't know what size they are going to order...typically on most websites they give the customer a preview option so they can see at the size they order what the crop will look like.
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    All my photos are in a 4:3 ratio (can anyone guess what brand I shoot? :D ), and I find that except for 4x6, very little cropping is needed for most popular sizes.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    run_kmc wrote:
    All my photos are in a 4:3 ratio (can anyone guess what brand I shoot? :D )

Brand, there are a couple that I know off the top of my head that shoot 4:3, not including video cameras. Since you added the smiley, my guess would be a Hasselblad...
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Since you added the smiley, my guess would be a Hasselblad...

You give me too much credit. :D

No, I shoot the brand that literally puts "Four Thirds" in the title of everything.. Olympus. :D