A few from Memphis (3 pix)

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited July 22, 2005 in People
Well, I finally got around to processing a few photos from Beale street in Memphis. I've been quite busy redying some photos for the Nevada State Fair, but find a few moments here and there.
The first shot is of my Brother-in-Law who likes to play the Blues. He's always wanted to see Beale street (it's a blues thing). After 5 beers of courage, he actually broke out his guitar and did a little busking. It was 2am and the only ones around were the local panhandlers and drunks. I wasn't too sure if I'd have a camera by the end of the night (kinda rough crowd that night).
Busking on Beale street, Memphis TN.
46297735.jpg
1/100s f/2.8 at 100.0mm iso800

This gent said my wife had mean eyes:rofl. He also offered to take our picture if I gave him my camera:doh. It was a hot, humid Tennessee night, you can see it on his face.
46297728.jpg
1/80s f/3.2 at 100.0mm iso1600 with Flash

Lastly, this couple asked to have their picture taken. They even offered me money to do it, but I turned down the money thing. I gave them my email address and told them I'd send them a copy if the emailed me. I have yet to hear from them:dunno.
46297730.jpg
1/160s f/3.2 at 100.0mm iso1600 with Flash

A lesson learned: While doing a number of these shots, some local kids/young adults would run into the frame. Usually, they were between me and the subject. I had the option to get on their case in which I think an altercation would have resulted or I could just lower the camera and wait till they got bored. I did neither. I took several shots of them doing their thing and then they were happy and moved on, I got several decent shots (still need to process) and I was able to get back to what I was doing before. I didn't know it, but my wife and her brother were telling these guys that I was on assignment with a magazine so many of them stayed out of the shot.

I have to say it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. I'll do it again sometime.

Thanks for looking and sorry for all the text,
Chris

If you're interested, the gallery is here.

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Hi Higg!
    Cool shots here, man! I especially dig the first one!
    Nice DOF, subject matter, B&W, and, of course, the guitar's pretty cool too! :):

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 22, 2005
    Cool shots here, man! I especially dig the first one!
    Nice DOF, subject matter, B&W, and, of course, the guitar's pretty cool too! :):

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
    15524779-Ti.gif

That first shot is very nice Chris thumb.gifthumb.gif Good contrast and B&W was the perfect treatment for it clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    Thanks Thiago and Steve,
    I was playing around with grain for the shot but didn't like the effect I got (from PS7 grain). I was trying for an older looking shot and settled with this, which I too like.

Thanks for the comments,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister