EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
edited December 4, 2009 in Cameras
Anyone have any experience with the new Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens compared to the EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM. I've been quite pleased with the latter lens on my 20d but am looking to upgrade to the 7d. Just wondering if the lens upgrade would be worthwhile...mostly in regard to image quality.
Rae
Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    No personal experience here (I don't use EF-S lenses anymore), but there is a very favorable, detailed review of the EF-S 15-85mm here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-15-85mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

The EF-S 17-85mm is generally regarded as an acceptable but not superb lens. Here is a page where you can compare results from the 15-85mm and the 17-85mm:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=675&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=2&API=2&LensComp=251&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=2&APIComp=2

For someone who does not currently own either lens, the 15-85mm seems clearly the better choice, but for someone like you who already has the 17-85mm, it's a judgment call whether it's worth your while to buy the new one.

I think the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 is still preferable to the 15-85mm on the basis of its wider aperture, but if that's not a major concern for you, the 15-85mm may be preferable.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Thanks for the links Craig. Upgrading to the 7d is an easy decision...the lens a bit harder. Must say though that I do like these decisions.:D
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Hi Rae

I have the 7D and still have the 17 - 85mm. FWIW, they are a nice combo. I have always liked my 17-85 and have used the 17-55f2.8 as well as the 24-105. Personally I prefer the 17mm to the 24mm, so the 15mm is intriguing, but so are so many other lenses.

If you like the 17-85 there would be no real immediate need to buy a new lens, but then lens purchases are so rarely about need mwink.gif
  • raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Hi Ann

Need? Nope, the 7d I need for the focus upgrade over my 20d. I've been really delighted with my 17 - 85 and it's my main walk about lens. I'll probably stick with it and just upgrade the camera...but all the new toys are tempting...and it's the Christmas season...and I'm so hard to buy for!rolleyes1.gif

BTW, drive careful out there this morning.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    raebrown wrote:
    Hi Ann

Need? Nope, the 7d I need for the focus upgrade over my 20d. I've been really delighted with my 17 - 85 and it's my main walk about lens. I'll probably stick with it and just upgrade the camera...but all the new toys are tempting...and it's the Christmas season...and I'm so hard to buy for!rolleyes1.gif

BTW, drive careful out there this morning.

Thanks Rae - working from home definitely has it's benefits in this weather!