Options

Organising Categories

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited July 23, 2005 in SmugMug Support
(How) can I specify the arrangement of categories on my home page? I can see how to arrange galleries within categories, but not the categories themselves.

Thanks!

DubDubDub

Comments

• Options
    asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    (How) can I specify the arrangement of categories on my home page? I can see how to arrange galleries within categories, but not the categories themselves.

Thanks!

DubDubDub
    edit: ok, let me just rewrite this, as I was partly off originally.

To do this, you'll first have to be sorting your galleries/categories by position (not date). It appears that this setting is tied to that of how albums are displayed within categories and subcategories (NOT how photos are displayed within an album) - change it in one place and it will be changed everywhere else too. So, if you like having the rest of your site automatically sorted by date then you might not want to do this.

The way it seems to work is that a category is displayed as soon as an album from it is found in going down the list of albums by position. So, to put your Friends category at the top of the list you'd take any album (not so fast, there's a caveat here) from the Friends category and stick it in spot 1. To put the Vacation category in 2nd place you'd take a vacation album and stick it in position number 2.

Here's the catch: changes to ordering you make here apply down to ordering within individual categories and subcategories. So if, while organizing from the main page, you casually take an album from the Vacation category and stick it at the start of the Organize list, you'll also have brought it ahead of every other album from the Vacation category, so that when you next visit that category this album will now be first in line.

SO, if you have painstakingly arranged all of your categories and subcategories, what you need to do is, make sure to move as a group all albums from a category. Or at least make sure they stay in order relative to each other (it doesn't matter if albums from other categories get interleaved in there so long as albums from the same category never swap places). Going back to my example, if you had a bunch of Friend albums they might take up positions 1-4 and then you might have all of your Vacation albums taking up slots 5-12. Or, to get the same result you might have a Friend album in slot 1, a Vacation album in 2, a Friend in 3, a vacation in 4 (and so on).

I'm not Smugmug staff - I may have gotten this wrong or missed a much easier solution. I've almost certainly made it totally confusing.eek7.gif Still, I hope this helps a little.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    asd

Following your tip, I selected one gallery from each of my categories and then arranged these as the first galleries and into the sequence I wanted my categories to appear, and all's now set correctly.

Thanks!