730846045_CNf8g-XL.jpg

730845930_uWeaK-XL.jpg

730845823_3q9JU-XL.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    I like #1 and #2. Somehow #1 makes me think that they are complete strangers who have started talking.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    I love #1. Great black and white conversion. too (of course!).

The blurred bell makes #2. I wish, though, that the man were looking more in the direction of the camera.

Although I was not as taken with #3 when I first looked at it, I find the juxtaposition of the performer in sharp focus against the OOF background of people hurrying past without even looking at her rather poignant. This one is growing on me.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    #3! Unique angle. I can here the music...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    I like #3 the best. Captures her viewpoint and sense that she is being ignored by her audience.

Also, #1 is quite amusing as I assume that is her mother that pulled the earbud out after trying to talk to her and not being heard.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited December 4, 2009
    Each one has something to offer. #1 is just plain funny, but the text "Things are getting interesting" adds a nice self-referential touch. The blur in #2 is good, but on my (uncalibrated but decent) screen, the jaw blends with the jacket and makes it look like he has no neck. Perhaps it looks better on a calibrated monitor. I am ambivalent about #3. Technically it is excellent (as one would expect), but I'm not sure that seeing her point of view outweighs not seeing her face at all. OTOH, I have come back to look at it several times, so something is clearly working.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    rutt wrote:

YES!! no. no.

That first one is really terrific! Well composed, great engagement between the riders, and it looks as though the older woman is speaking into the earphone - even if she isn't. Really nice. clap.gifclap.gif

Number 2? Guy ringing a bell.
    Number 3? Back of a head. It might have been something if your pof had been the people walking by.

mwink.gifmwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    I like #1. Good composition, nice B&W tones, good sense of interaction between the three of them. The other two don't do much for me. The invisible left hand in #2 is not appealing, and the guy appears to be staring at the ground. #3 just seems like an experiment that didn't pan out.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    I also like #1 the best.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Thanks, everyone. I'd say you are pretty much on target.

I really wanted to get good shots of the folk singer and the Salvation Army guy. They seemed like interesting subjects, but I just couldn't figure it out. The folk singer was so trapped in 1969 ("Mr. Bojangles") and the passersby were so not with her. I was trying to show that, but couldn't find the angle that worked. I shot from the front, and both sides as well as this angle. And then she started to be bothered by me, so I moved on and got what I got and this was the best of a not very good batch.

Maybe the Salvation Army guy wasn't as interesting as he seemed at the time.

The first was very fun to get. I saw Mom do this one time when I wasn't ready. Got the camera set and waited for it to happen again. I can hold the GF1 in my lap. and see the back well enough to frame.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks, everyone. I'd say you are pretty much on target.

I really wanted to get good shots of the folk singer and the Salvation Army guy. They seemed like interesting subjects, but I just couldn't figure it out. The folk singer was so trapped in 1969 ("Mr. Bojangles") and the passersby were so not with her. I was trying to show that, but couldn't find the angle that worked. I shot from the front, and both sides as well as this angle. And then she started to be bothered by me, so I moved on and got what I got and this was the best of a not very good batch.

Maybe the Salvation Army guy wasn't as interesting as he seemed at the time.

The first was very fun to get. I saw Mom do this one time when I wasn't ready. Got the camera set and waited for it to happen again. I can hold the GF1 in my lap. and see the back well enough to frame.

Well you definitely did it the right way! And the more I look at the image - now really seeing Dad'd expression, and the "Things are getting interesting" line on the sign. Really nice, Ruttclap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    #1 really appeals to me, not only from a photography standpoint, but also as an audiologist. I can hear her mother say "get those out of your ears - you're ruining your hearing". mwink.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    #1 really appeals to me, not only from a photography standpoint, but also as an audiologist. I can hear her mother say "get those out of your ears - you're ruining your hearing". mwink.gif

Are you an audiologist? I would never have guessed.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Yup.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography