Curvy Idea

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited July 20, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Two pics of Lombard street in San Francisco taken on 7-15-05. It was mid afternoon and the sun was almost right at the top of the hill, made it really hard to get a decent shot. Thought since I went through the trouble of taking them and post processing them I would put them out here for critique.

I like how the sun reflected of the railing adding to the curves. As you can see the sun was harsh. This was the best i could do in post:

3444%3A49923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E23239653599%3B%3Bot1lsi

Since all the shots were way to bright and I couldn't really get them to "pop" I tried a Nix filter on this one. I like this one better but still wonder if either one is strong enough to compete in the challenge:dunno

3444%3A49923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E23239653659%3C5ot1lsi

Comments and suggestions would be great:thumb

Thanks for looking,

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Since all the shots were way to bright and I couldn't really get them to "pop" I tried a Nix filter on this one. I like this one better but still wonder if either one is strong enough to compete in the challengene_nau.gif

3444%3A49923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E23239653659%3C5ot1lsi

Comments and suggestions would be greatthumb.gif

Thanks for looking,

Eric[/QUOTE]
    Hi Eric,
    I'm surprised Lombard Street hasn't been done sooner. It's a great place for curves. Too bad you got there at a bad time for the light.

I think I prefer #2. It has a surreal quality to it. It also focuses on the lower curve better. The hedge is all in the picture and the girl walking by is kind of cool. I like it. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    I'd like to see it bigger, but i like it. The Nix Filter gives it a really "holly wood set" feel to me anyway. Perhaps a slightly lower angle would help....

Thats the coolest street I've ever seen!
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    This was actually the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the theme was curves. Could you re-shoot on another day with better light? I do agree that the railing adds to the curve theme. I like the shot with the filter the best but my attention is drawn to the DO NOT ENTER sign and the girl in the red shirt and shoes.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 19, 2005
    great idea Eric. Lombard St popped into my head too. Nice thumb.gif
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    This was actually the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the theme was curves. Could you re-shoot on another day with better light? I do agree that the railing adds to the curve theme. I like the shot with the filter the best but my attention is drawn to the DO NOT ENTER sign and the girl in the red shirt and shoes.
    I wish I could re-shoot. But since it's about a 4-5 hour roundtrip from here I don't think I will.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

edited July 19, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    great idea Eric. Lombard St popped into my head too. Nice thumb.gif
    Thanks Angelo!!

I just wish my timing would have been better. I never even thought about the sun until we pulled up and saw how dang bright it was.

Eric

edited July 19, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Since all the shots were way to bright and I couldn't really get them to "pop" I tried a Nix filter on this one. I like this one better but still wonder if either one is strong enough to compete in the challengene_nau.gif

Comments and suggestions would be greatthumb.gif

Thanks for looking,

Eric
    Hi Eric,
    I'm surprised Lombard Street hasn't been done sooner. It's a great place for curves. Too bad you got there at a bad time for the light.

I think I prefer #2. It has a surreal quality to it. It also focuses on the lower curve better. The hedge is all in the picture and the girl walking by is kind of cool. I like it. thumb.gif[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Snappy!!

I too prefer the 2nd one, but I still don't think it's the best that I can produce. I wish it were closer so I could do it againne_nau.gif

Eric

edited July 19, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    I'd like to see it bigger, but i like it. The Nix Filter gives it a really "holly wood set" feel to me anyway. Perhaps a slightly lower angle would help....

Thats the coolest street I've ever seen!

Thanks rahmonster!!

I wish I could show it larger but I don't have Smugmug and this is the biggest I can link it.

It really is a cool street. We drove down it and then parked the truck and got out to take pics like the rest of the 500 tourist that were thererolleyes1.gif

Eric

• samyasamya Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Just an idea on lombard street.... if you go climb onto coit tower top, you get a nice full curvy view of lombard st. That might be worth trying.

Went to SF with the same idea, but the bright stark light disheartened me so much I ended up driving back without taking a single shot!! :cry