Machine shop

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited December 5, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Doing a few shots for work for our new website. These are meant to show some machine shop capability but keeping very vague about our parts.

Of these first two, which one do you like more and why. Same shot, crop and setup. Different light and f-stop

731211463_nQAax-L.jpg

731211548_yPcxe-L.jpg

These two are in the machine and are just cool.

731210474_aeTdN-L.jpg

731210419_NehjL-L.jpg

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Wow...those last two photos are cool -- good focus and lighting on those thumb.gif
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Really dig that last one...clap.gif
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Howdy Zerodog,

Really love seeing these shots, I've been in and around Machining for over 30 years now, these really have a good feel to them.

I like the selective focus, but all the objects in the left side keep drawing my attention there. Maybe bring the mics into the foreground, and even the protractor.

You really get a sense of the power on the next to the last shot with the alum flying off the roughing cutter.

Looking forward to seeing more from your series.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Thanks for looking everyone.

I will have to do more of these. Most people have never seen this stuff. I really like the one of the coolant spraying. But, I think I lot of people would think it is a picture of something being sprayed with milk. I used 2 flashes for the shots inside the machine. The duration was so short on them that I was stopping the endmills dead even though they were spinning 5000rpm. So I needed to mess around with the durations to get a bit of motion in there.

For the parts I need to get out the tripod and really set some stuff up. I just lined up the parts I have been working on this week and shot them. In the end I think we will be using #1. I just like the natural light better.
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Some cool shots here. I think the first of the first set would be strongest if you brought the focus toward you a little bit. I would like to see the nearest point of the taller pieces in focus.

The last two are cool as well, but the lighting bothers me. It's really bright in the coolant and the shadow from it being so direct is kind of distracting. I'm too inexperienced to really tell you how to improve that, though, aside from saying maybe try bouncing to eliminate the flash shadow.

Look forward to seeing more.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • masterofonemasterofone Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    The shots are good but they don't say anything about the capabilities of your shop. If I am looking for a shop, I want to see the details of the part. I want to see the finish and have some idea that you can do more than profile a part and cut the back off. Show the parts in a way that your potential customer can see as many ops as possible and then take some really cool photographs because that is what WE want to see..
    Brian
    Have keyboard and opinion.

Senska Photography