Options

Wild Wild West

ChaskyChasky Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited December 9, 2009 in Journeys
Last spring I read an article in one of my textbooks about Glenn Canyon. Fascinated by the writing and the photos I decided to some research of my own. I was overwhelmed by some of the unbelievable things I found. I decided I had to go and see it all for myself. Funny what you can learn is school :)

I asked my mom and aunt to come along for the trip and they replied... You want to go to the middle of the desert... in the middle of summer? "yes" and that was that. With a little planning, we were off.

I had just begun to develop my interest in photography and decided this was going to be my first photographic trip. I had my 3month old Nikon D90 with the 18-105mm and 70-200mm lenses.

Here is an idea of our four day trip...

731327796_kawUS-M.jpg

Once we landed in Nevada we got our rental jeep and were off. With us... bottles and bottles of water, granola bars, sour patch kids, and of course... some tunes - yes, including Michael Jackson.

731326298_xt9VH-L.jpg

Our first stop... Zion National Park

731325413_RWKuF-L.jpg

I couldn't get over how BIG everthing was... Wisconsin is just, wow, flat.

The next photo is me, just doin what I do I guess...

731325799_xoyUk-M.jpg

Believe it or not... it almost happened... yikes.

731326036_jqGvM-L.jpg

This was a great wash on the rock we saw as we hiked up toward the Narrows.

731325865_yvGpa-L.jpg

This little guy seemed curious and was just asking to have his photo taken.

Zion was full of so many spectacular sites. We spent what was left of our first day hiking through it. You could definitly spend weeks at this place. I would have loved to have gotten further up into the Narrows and done the angels landing hike - something you should definitly check out (youtube).

We stayed the night at a Zion Lodge and were up early 3AM to head off for Arches National Park.

731327228_XtghA-L.jpg

Sort of simplifies the HOT weather. (105* plus direct sunlight)

I hiked the long trek up the cliff side to see Delicate arch, while my travel buddies waited near the bottom of the path. It certainly was quite the task. All the hikers seemed to be sharing what little shade was available as often as they could along the way... this was at about 1:00 - HOT HOT HOT.

731325321_oxwM6-L.jpg

...and there it is in all its glory. It wasn't the best time to photograph, but its something to remember.

731327318_YC2Rf-L.jpg

It was nice, because once I reached the arch it was complete solitude for quite some time. I was able to try to soak it all in. We departed Arches around 3:00pm to head down to Monument Valley. Arches was a great place as most everything there was pretty easily accesible and just incredible to be witness to.

731326793_oHvHb-L.jpg

Snapped a shot of... more rocks... along the way.

We reached Monument Valley with just enough time to get our stuff into our room, grab some water and meet with our guide for the night. His name... Indian Dave. Quite intimidating at first, but loved him!

731326608_nMSKB-L.jpg

First he took us in his open air Jeep to see Monument Valley through Teardrop arch.

731327689_xWegd-L.jpg

Indian Dave: [points to cow] "burger king" ... yes a man of few words, but he was just too funny!

731325565_9qrNP-L.jpg

...and there he is, helping me scope out some good photo spots. He told us so much about the history and made us laugh along the way.

731327041_b7ZYc-L.jpg

We were on the Mystery Valley tour for the evening and we got to see arches like the one above, the sun's eye, as well as all sorts of petroglyphs and ancient ruins. Really a remarkable place.

We arrived back to our hotel at dark and were up early again the next morning, 4AM, to get a good seat for sunrise. I was suprised at how good they turned out to be...

731325432_9QGz8-L.jpg

Stunning.

731325473_fnehE-L.jpg

This was the totem pole at sunrise. It was nice just to sit and relax as all the colors came alive around us.

731326874_d5aUr-L.jpg

Another great wash on the rock in Monument Valley.

731325658_Hudt7-L.jpg

A quick shot back.

731327139_9Puir-L.jpg

I loved how the landscape could change so dramatically.

731327128_kovU6-L.jpg

This was what I was expecting the whole trip... Sand. I just wanted to go play in it, it was just perfect.

731327347_ZFHwX-L.jpg

And yes... the Forrest Gump running scene was filmed on this road running through Monument Valley. Naturally I had to get a shot. -There is lots of movie history here if you get a chance to visit, just ask a local.

731326514_nGxmy-L.jpg

... And after our lovely morning tour with Indian Dave through Monument Valley it was time to depart to Page.

731327491_CLY6q-L.jpg

Lake Powell... the original interest spark for me. I loved this town, it was quite touristy, but you would have no problem driving maybe 20 minutes and finding total seclusion.

731327567_dA4UT-L.jpg

After the past days in the hot sun, the lake was very welcoming :)
It's a great place to get a house boat and kayaks just to cruise the canyons or get your adrenaline going in the open water with a power boat.

731327773_HZkP4-L.jpg

Some more "burger king" I guess...

After some time in the water we went back to our hotel in Page and spent the night. The next morning we ate a good breakfast and were off to Antelope Canyon - a few minutes outside of page.

731326407_5Yo9B-L.jpg

The sandy road to the canyon.

731327870_fkZX5-L.jpg

Rocks in motion. These are the shots I imagined for the trip... I knew that if I could get in this canyon the whole thing would come full circle.

731326119_yRahD-L.jpg

One of the light beam shots I took in the canyon.

After the tour it was time for the final haul back to Vegas for our flight the next morning.

731326704_EUmzL-L.jpg

Back through Zion...

731326202_LJdY2-L.jpg

And passed some fields... snapped this while on the move... it was quite lucky on timing, but a little blurry.

731326956_x6uDr-L.jpg

And trying to outrun a rain storm... ironic becuase Indian dave had switched on a local station in the jeep playing the ongoing of a rain dance... he told me a rain cloud would follow me... but... we made it. We spent the final night walking around the Vegas strip just to see the lights. Personally I would have rather been back out in the middle of the desert somewhere...

Overall it was a fantastic trip. I was so grateful that my mom and aunt were able to go with me. We have so many fun memories and I would recommend the area to anybody looking to see spectacular sites in the US. I just need some more time to go back and really get deep into the exploring.

...oh and I think I got some nice shots to remember it by... nothing fancy... but Im still learning ;)

Thanks for checking out the thread!!!

Comments

• Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Hi, really enjoyed your story - and backed up by some beautiful shots clap.gif . Particularly liked the 'tear drop' arch and the shots in the canyon - the triptych was a very unusual - but effective way of showing them.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    WOW, you have a very beautiful series of pictures here. Outstanding might be a better choice of words. Looks like a great trip with wonderful memories!! Love you comentary too!

Thanks for sharing.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    rhondavid wrote:
    WOW, you have a very beautiful series of pictures here. Outstanding might be a better choice of words. Looks like a great trip with wonderful memories!! Love you comentary too!

Thanks for sharing.

You were just beginning to develop your interest in photography when you took those shots? Holy Burger King! I've been playing with SLRs for 10 years and I'm not that good.

I guess some people are born with it, and I'm not one of them...

Earlier this year I made my first trip to the desert, too (to celebrate my 40th birthday - you may play Taps in the background if you like). I spent a week in Vegas and took day trips to Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon Nat/ Conservation Area, Valley of Fire State Park, and Grand Canyon Village. I highly recommend any or all of those places for your next trip; the scenery is spectacular, and neither Red Rock nor Valley of Fire were terribly crowded.

I like your driving route; I may have to steal it whenever I finally make a return trip to the Southwest.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    CayuseCayuse Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Wonderfull images and a great narrative. I second Red Rock Canyon outside of Vegas as an incredible location. Also, if in the Moab area the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park is spectacular but requires more hiking than Arches.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Extremely Impressive Photography and this looks to have been a sweet Journey.wings.gif

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    wow! These are amazing photographs! I went out west this summer but sadly we only spent a few hours at the grand canyon and hoover dam, then headed over to California. Started our trip in Arizona. I'm from Wisconsin too, so it was nice to see big rocks, instead of hills and trees.

I was with my family on that trip. It was mainly for my cousin's wedding in Arizona, but sometime I'd like to go back on one of the workshops to just take pictures the whole trip. We spent most of the time in the car. which wasn't very fun.
    Jer
  • Options
    ChaskyChasky Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Cayuse wrote:
    Wonderfull images and a great narrative. I second Red Rock Canyon outside of Vegas as an incredible location. Also, if in the Moab area the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park is spectacular but requires more hiking than Arches.

I just checked out some Red Rock Canyon photos. Looks like quite the place... my list just keeps getting longer :)
  • Options
    Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    wow...great shots...I am so jealous

One day I will do a trip like that
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Great shots, you were traveling through my favorite part of the country.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 5, 2009
    Great trip Chasky, with lovely images.

Next time when you go back, try driving into what you drove around the edge of with your route ( which is a great route too ) - down to Hanksville, Excalante, Boulder Mountain etc.

Southern Utah has enough to keep you busy for years of exploration!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Chasky wrote:
    I just checked out some Red Rock Canyon photos. Looks like quite the place... my list just keeps getting longer :)

My own pics from Red Rock, Valley of Fire, Hoover, and GCNP can be found here (I don't use any fancy album software or photo site, I just post them on my own web site and make HTML pages for them):
    http://willcad.org/photos/2009/2009.html

Though, as I indicated earlier, they are not in the same league as yours. I'm insanely jealous...
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    You've got what it takes young lady! These shots are awesome.