Critique please. Portrait shoot

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited December 4, 2009 in People
Sup All,

I would really like some honest and blunt critiques. Let me know if you don't like them and why...I can handle it. :)

Here goes:

p163437870-3.jpg

p368663853-3.jpg

p248102595-3.jpg

p472093840-3.jpg

p426789567-3.jpg

p12577664-3.jpg

The whole gallery can be seen here: http://fotomango.zenfolio.com/charlene

You may notice a watermark on these images. Sorry, but I can't figure out how to take this off while linking from zenfolio.

Some info: These were shot in Yorba Linda Regional park just before sunset and through sunset. I used the an umbrella SB600 via my ebay triggers on manual 1/8 power most of the time. It had a CTO on it..can't remember the strength.

For the last photo there were two umbrella flashes
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    #5 is a winner for me, I like the feel of the image. #1 you might have burned the bottom of the frame too much, her legs are disappearing.

Next time if you could post imgs around 800px. A lot easier seeing more details.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    I like them....so sorry, no nit picky critiques from me. thumb.gif
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Well, here are my two cents, and believe me, there's not worth anything! rolleyes1.gif

#1. As mentioned in a previous post, the bottom seems to be burned too much, it's very dark. The pose does not seem to be very relaxed to me and the placement of the legs seem awkward. However, the skin tones look good to me and the colours look nice (I like them a bit more saturated anyhow).

#2. Two things, there seem to be circles on her right cheek (camera left), and also the photo is very blue to me which makes it look very cold. However the composition of the shots works for me, I like it.

#3. Again, this shot I like the skin tones and colour saturation, but her feet turned in the way they are makes it look weird to me (just my opinion). Also, the person seems to be pretty square on the camera which is a bit unflattering.

#4. I find the photo to be way to dark. There doesn't seem to be enough separation between the background and subject. I like the pose though and just wish it were exposed differently.

#5. WINNER! Love it! clap.gif There is nothing at all that I have to nit over this one. The pensive expression, the lighting, I simply love it.

#6. To me there is too much sky. The star (maybe the moon?) is a big distraction to me. When I look at it, my eye tends to drift up to the bright object in the sky. Your colours are fantastic though.

Like I said, these are my two cents and they probably don't amount to a whole hill of beans, but it's just what I can see and everyone is different. I'm sure that other here will disagree with what I like and dislike. :D

Joe

PS. I just noticed that there is a watermark and so I know where the circles on her cheek came from mwink.gif
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Agree with Joe's critique. #4 she looks more annoyed than anything. #5 is beautifully executed. The light/dark line in the water leads you to her face nicely. clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    the 1st 3 do nothing for me.
    1) don't like the pose at all. skin tones are off. the lower 1/3 of the fram is too dark

2) too dark and soft

3) skins tones are off, pose is not working, don't like the clothes, colors are bit too saturated

4) this one I like though it could use a touch of fill to bring back some detail in the clothes. also crop to take off a it on the right side.

5) this once is nice as well but I don't like the framing and could use some fill as well.

6) I like the lighting on this one the best..but the moon or whatever that is in the sky above her head is killing the shot. It could use a tighter crop as well imo.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Just my two cents worth.
    1. If you use the entire body it needs to be doing something…..such as in #3. Hands look very awkard.
    2. I can live with #2 but the color is just not right. There is a cool blue action somewhere out there but this isn’t it.
    3. Not too bad of a pose but not flattering for her. She is a little older and this pose works great on younger (read thinner) girls.
    4. Not bad, she is turned into the light which is great for ladies giving her a more slender facial lighting. I can live with this one.
    5. I just don’t like trees. Her hand on the tree is awkard and needs to be a much, much tighter crop and it would be very nice except for the tree growing out of her head.
    6. Cool effect but not working in this pose. Looking up the nostrils is a big no. Body straight on to the camera makes her have more weight.
    The more you do and ask for critiques the better you become. So be thick skinned and learn.
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Thank you all so much.

It is funny, but to me, I loved, loved the #4 and #5. Seems #4 was not very popular! :P

I agree, I have to get the posing down. Still learning.

As for these pictures, obviously they are heavily processed and thus I can scale back on few of these per all of your recommendations.

Any more??? I can take it..see? :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    In most of these the woman seems too diminished within the frame. This is rarely flattering for most people.

1. She's too small here and not doing much. Nice smile though.
    2. This is the most interesting, but I would have preferred a vertical crop. You've cut off her head and I don't like how the bottom is cut off so severely. The processing is way too purple too.
    3. She looks awkward here, the color too saturated, she's too small in frame.
    4. Too charcoal of a finish. Not a flattering or intriguing shot.
    5. Nice lighting and tone, but maybe more vertical and 10% less on right side.
    6. Strange perspective to shot, almost creepy when combined with her almost expectant look.

M
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    4 is by far the best shot of the lot, don't touch it.
    5 needs a crop, from the left and a little shadow fill.
    The rest..not so much.