Options

#39 First thoughts - c&c please

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited December 11, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok so here are my first attempts for #39.
Does this work as a concept?
I feel there's something lacking but I'm not sure what.
I will need to re-shoot when I sort out a better lighting set-up.

Thanks for looking.

"The colour of money".
731745362_VcKKT-L.jpg

731741637_BmF7N-L.jpg

731744182_MWcUC-L.jpg

731739987_VmQyY-L.jpg

All c&c appreciated.
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    3 and 4 strike me as more interesting than 1 and 2. 4 is nice because of the simplicity and symmetry of the design.

2 is spoiled by the shadow in the lower right corner, but I think 3 is a better perspective anyway.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    I like #3 the best. I think composition and perspective are the most dynamic and interesting. Not sure about the focal point though. My eye keeps going to the $20 bill but it's not the bill in focus and it is bothersome. That could be because the $20 USD is the most familiar to me.

I wonder how this shot would look as a high key image? Something about the not quite gray, not quite white background bugs me and the first thing that came to mind was, "this would look cool as a high key image."
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Great idea. I like this set a lot. If you have some time try some more angles and DOFs to see if you can come up with something even better, but great job with these!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Great idea. I like this set a lot. If you have some time try some more angles and DOFs to see if you can come up with something even better, but great job with these!

15524779-Ti.gif - Very good idea :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    I think it would be better with a shallow DOF. So that only part of something legible was in focus. With the whole thing in focus your eyes don't know what to do.
    see how just the queen's eyes are in focus here;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raceytay/3959341653/
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    I like this set. Pay closer attention to the shadows and DOF. It seems to me that the DOF needs to either be very small or much larger. You seem to be in between.

I found the background to be distracting because I can see either the pattern on the b/g cloth or some lettering showing through.

Good wpork! Here we are a week into the Mega and I haven't shot an idea yet!.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    Craig, Allen, Tatiana & Chris thanks for the feedback it is very much appreciated.
    I wonder how this shot would look as a high key image? Something about the not quite gray, not quite white background bugs me and the first thing that came to mind was, "this would look cool as a high key image."
    Thanks for the suggestion, as I've never shot high key, don't have any lighting equipment and have only ever seen high key portraits this proved something of a challenge. I did manage to get a pure white backdrop (though it doesn't always look it in the images I shot with it headscratch.gif presumably due to my naff lighting gear & my lack of skill :D). I would ask if you meant full high key as I've seen 2 explanations 1 which is very low contrast & little / no shadow (like Allen's "sublime" image) the other is simply on a very white background with marginally less contrast than normal. I tried both but failed (at least they didn't come out very well). 11doh.gif
    I think it would be better with a shallow DOF. So that only part of something legible was in focus. With the whole thing in focus your eyes don't know what to do.
    I see what you mean but having tried it full on I didn't like the results though I have tried a half way approach so thanks for the suggestion.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    Having taken on-board all the interesting suggestions everybody made here are some form yesterday's re-shoot.

C&C always appreciated

a.
    733048229_xxmJi-L.jpg

b.
    733049301_2CNfK-L.jpg

c.
    733050424_3uoST-L.jpg

d.
    733051968_UwknZ-L.jpg

e.
    733052269_Uo6Dc-L.jpg

And a couple of more experimental ones

f.
    733061483_XXDQ9-L.jpg

g.
    733049533_bsULd-L.jpg

h.
    733051177_NeQ8f-L.jpg

Once again thanks for looking and taking the time to provide c&c.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    What about placing them in a plastic wallet? headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Hi there,
    My two cents...I like A. the layout of the money and the angle you used. I think it's probably the best one, but the eyes in F. are crazy. The eyes are so cool that they are probably distracting from "the color of money" though.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Hi,
    I like the weird staring eyes in the 20 schilling note. Like paper money is hypnotizing or something. Maybe you just need a new title, like "you neeeeed meee". ha.
    and I like the first one too, but it bugs me that the numbers are upside down. The colors are nice though.
    anna
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    i like a the most, with b a close second. f and g are a little freaky. nice job and concept!
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    What about placing them in a plastic wallet? headscratch.gif
    Thanks for the suggestion Tatiana, I had actually tried it but I couldn't get a decent image.
    Hi there,
    My two cents...I like A. the layout of the money and the angle you used. I think it's probably the best one, but the eyes in F. are crazy. The eyes are so cool that they are probably distracting from "the color of money" though.
    Thanks for the two cents Liz, always appreciated. I'm not sure about F as an entry but I like how it turned out.
    ASkip wrote:
    Hi,
    I like the weird staring eyes in the 20 schilling note. Like paper money is hypnotizing or something. Maybe you just need a new title, like "you neeeeed meee". ha.
    and I like the first one too, but it bugs me that the numbers are upside down. The colors are nice though.
    anna
    Thanks Anna, I really like the eyes as well but it would need to be a stonking title to pull it off.
    dls wrote:
    i like a the most, with b a close second. f and g are a little freaky. nice job and concept!
    Thanks Dan.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I also like 'a.' Great idea, too!

Sherry
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I like A, then B. The eyes in F are great! You get oints for creativity!

I'd like to hear about all the places you went to collect the money!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    I also like 'a.' Great idea, too!

Sherry
    Thanks for the feedback Sherry.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    I like A, then B. The eyes in F are great! You get oints for creativity!

I'd like to hear about all the places you went to collect the money!

Chris
    Thanks for the input Chris.
    Most of the notes are travellers cheques (US or UK) with some dollars (US & Canadian) and sterling. The oddities are the Greek Drachmas & Spanish pesetas from trips to the Greek & Canary islands in the days before the Euro became the common currency. The Austrian schilling is from a ski trip many years ago.

Thank goodness I have a habit of keeping odd bits of left over currency from my trips. This wouldn't have worked with just dollars or sterling.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page