Options

Austin-San Antonio Christmas Meetup

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    If there is anyone who actually went to UT, please pipe up since I didn't and have no real idea of the best nooks to shoot. Let's meet at 11:30 at the corner of 21st and Guadalupe to grab a quick bite along the drag and then we can see if we have any grand ideas, or just venture across campus for more architectural work. We will only need to allocate 30 minutes to get our vehicles get down to the capitol, park and get to the south steps. I don't expect it to be very hard to find parking. So that gives us about 90 minutes of prowling; we'll be near the Doby Student Center, the main clock tower (can't go up there, though), the Blanton (doesn't open until 1pm, though so doesn't seem worth it), the stadium and the various fountains and statues. Of course the drag is a target-rich environment for street.... (if I can get over my introvert nature and actually take pictures of random people....).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    PS, reply here or PM me if you plan on coming at 11:30 so we know if everyone has arrived....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    No one for 11:30? So we'll just plan on the 2pm at the Capitol. My daughter will be thrilled....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    No one for 11:30? So we'll just plan on the 2pm at the Capitol. My daughter will be thrilled....

I still have family in town, so I'll just have a few afternoon hours.

Caroline
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Andrew--Since I am planning to stay longer with the crowd into the evening, I think I'd best skip our proposed 1130 meet. I'll spend more time with my stepson and you can spend time with your daughter and we'll all get together at 2 for a merry ole time! :D As a Horned Frog with Aggie brothers, stepping onto the UT campus isn't high on my list anyway!!rolleyes1.gif

Anybody have tips for parking? And good directions to the capitol from SA?

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2009
    I don't expect it to be too crowded downtown, so I'd just look for street parking (it will be free on the weekend) on the south side of the capitol. From SA, just come up I35 and get off for any street less than 10th and head west toward the capitol. That will intersect Congress and if you turn right on Congress, you will be headed straight for the Capitol. I just prowl the blocks around that area to find a parking spot.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    I'll be on the capitol steps at 2pm, likely with my grandmother in tow (she finally got the digital camera she wanted and hasn't used the darn thing, so I'm trying to persuade her :D). If grandma is with me, I won't be able to stick around the whole time, but I'll definitely be there for the capitol and 6th Street portion.
  • Options
    ojnojn Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Sounds like we'll be able to make it as well, at least the downtown part. See you all tomorrow!
    Olof Johansson

Nikon D700, D80
    24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 70-210 f/4 | 80-200 f/2.8
    SB-900

http://bno.smugmug.com/ | http://tinyswede.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Silly question time....

What gear are you bringing to this? Just a variety of lens combinations, maybe a flash or a tripod for evening stuff? I've not done a walk-about before.

Curious.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    I'm just going to have my tripod in the car (not sure if I feel like carrying it around for anything or not). I'll have my 24-105 f/4L on the camera since that's my best all-around lens for a sunny day. I always have my flash with me. I'll pack either (perhaps both) a 24-70 f/2.8L and/or a faster prime for the evening stuff. At most 3 lenses + flash. I won't be brining my really wide lens or my really long lens. Extra batteries for flash and camera, and extra memory card. Flash cord if I want to play with holding the flash off-camera...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    I'm bringing 17-50 2.8 and 50 1.8 prime, no tripod (it's on the fritz) and don't have a flash. Guess I'm traveling simply. I mainly want to meet folks and scope out some locations to return to later.

I'm on my way!!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    I'm traveling light: 50/1.4 and a flash. Nada más. :D
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I'm traveling light: 50/1.4 and a flash. Nada más. :D

I'm going to try to get by rear in gear to get down there by 2. Still a bit slow from surgery. D300, no flash.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    It was great meeting all of you! Sorry I couldn't stay longer. Hope to meet up again next year!

And to whoever referred to my grandmother as my mother, thank you. She was glowing the rest of the night. :D
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    It was great meeting all of you! Sorry I couldn't stay longer. Hope to meet up again next year!

And to whoever referred to my grandmother as my mother, thank you. She was glowing the rest of the night. :D

Good times:)

She does look way too young to be your grandmother!
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    I/we had a lot of fun too! Thanks for organizing this.

I hope to make the next Smug meeting too, as long as I'm in town when it's taking place.
    Olof Johansson

Nikon D700, D80
    SB-900

• Options
    ByronF72ByronF72 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 27, 2009
    ojn wrote:
    I/we had a lot of fun too! Thanks for organizing this.

I hope to make the next Smug meeting too, as long as I'm in town when it's taking place.

Thanks for letting me tag along...great group, great weather and some great picture opportunities! Here is a link to a few pics from today if anyone is interested, really looking forward to seeing what others that were there came up with! Nice to meet everyone! Byron.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bf72photos/sets/72157623083229520/detail/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bf72photos/sets/72157623083229520/show/
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    Just pulled in. We finished off we a neon-light walk along South Congress. It was really great getting to meet y'all and hopefully we can do this again sometime again. Everyone have a safe remainder of 2009 and a Happy 2010. Pictures will be later....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    I'm home too. I figured out the next new gadget we all need, it's a heated shutter release button! Dang the temp dropped once the sun was down.

Tell your mom, er..... grandmother it was a pleasure meeting her today! thumb.gif

And thanks for all the tips/tricks I learned today. Maybe I'll be able to get a good shot in the near future. My pics will be up in a day or so with a link.

Again, thanks for a great day and it was a pleasure meeting everyone.
    ~scott

• Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    Okay, I lied. I was able to upload while my family was playing games. Here's a link. http://carolinepoe.smugmug.com/Other/Austin-Shootout-December-2009/10777238_KJcc8#751178757_cJCcC

Byron- love your detail shots!
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    Link to uncensored gallery (well, the total dross was pitched, but didn't get clever with any PP here)

Unlisted Photo-Walk Gallery
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    Fun neon shots:)
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    Byron, ditto on the detail.
    Caroline, great eye on the scenes and composition. Did you crop those down or did you take those SOOC? Love the B&W. Your stairwell makes me want to re-download the ones I had an pitched and take another look at them in b&w....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Byron, ditto on the detail.
    Caroline, great eye on the scenes and composition. Did you crop those down or did you take those SOOC? Love the B&W. Your stairwell makes me want to re-download the ones I had an pitched and take another look at them in b&w....

Thanks! I think I cropped (and straightened) the one with the moon a bit off the bottom, but these are almost all un-cropped.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2009
    Real interesting to see what others captured from the same places, the things they saw that I didn't. Byron, Caroline, I like both your sets. I clearly have a lot to learn.

A few of mine are at:

http://bno.smugmug.com/Other/Dgrin-photowalk-Olofs-pictures/10776576_6ozHm

They might change and/or go away as I tinker with things.

And unlike some of you, I have recropped mine quite a bit. :D
    Olof Johansson

Nikon D700, D80
    SB-900

• Options
    edited December 28, 2009
    ojn wrote:
    Real interesting to see what others captured from the same places, the things they saw that I didn't. Byron, Caroline, I like both your sets. I clearly have a lot to learn.

A few of mine are at:

http://bno.smugmug.com/Other/Dgrin-photowalk-Olofs-pictures/10776576_6ozHm

They might change and/or go away as I tinker with things.

And unlike some of you, I have recropped mine quite a bit. :D

Cool stuff. I really like the shot in the middle of the street showing the Christmas stars above.
  • Options
    ByronF72ByronF72 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2009
    Cool stuff. I really like the shot in the middle of the street showing the Christmas stars above.

Wow, some really nice shots from everyone.

Caroline, I love the hallway/staircase ones you did...especially the one with the flooring in color and the shapes/forms of the black and white ones.

The flower through the windows and the one where you got the car steering wheel through the back window are both great versions of pictures I can never seem to get right Andrew!

And Olof's "party naked" postcard with cigarrette butt are classic Austin. Thanks for sharing everyone! I still have to play with my HDR ones, but that will have to wait for a day when I don't have to work:(
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2009
    It was great meeting all of you--I really enjoyed the outing! Andrew and Scott, I hope I didn't slow you down too much at the end--that neon walk was fun!

Some great stuff from everyone so far--especially the detail shots and the B&W. Good job on the B&W conversions, Caroline.

I've just uploaded--too tired after my drive back to SA. Will post some shortly.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2009
    ByronF72 wrote:
    And Olof's "party naked" postcard with cigarrette butt are classic Austin.
    For full disclosure, it was Lauren and/or Brandy who found the card on the sidewalk. I just happened to be the first to share my version of it. :-)
    I still have to play with my HDR ones, but that will have to wait for a day when I don't have to work:(
    Work? Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder.

Looking forward to seeing them.
    Olof Johansson

Nikon D700, D80
    SB-900

• Options
    edited December 28, 2009
    Quick question for 'yall.....

1) Were your postings straight out of the camera or did you run any PP in batch or single-thread? (Excluding the B&W conversions as that's pretty straight forward)

2) Are you running any filter on the lenses or naked? If so, what filter?

3) Did you have any on-board configs dialed in such as color enhancement, saturation bump etc?

Reason I ask is I'm embarrased to post my shots after review. All of them exept the neon/night shots are really washed out/pale. I just can't put my finger on it at the moment.