Options

Rentals for surf photography

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited December 7, 2009 in Sports
There's a nice swell reportedly coming later next week in SoCal and a friend wants photos of him in action. Does this sound like the right kit to rent? :

Nikkor 500mm f/4 AF-S
Nikkor 1.7x or 1.4x teleconverter if needed
Gimbal head for my Gitzo

I have a D700 and will rent or buy the battery grip to up my frame rate, stamina.

I will be about 70-150 ft from the break, not exactly sure yet. I would rent the 600mm but it's another 100 bucks and this is, like most things in life, "just for fun".

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    There's a nice swell reportedly coming later next week in SoCal and a friend wants photos of him in action. Does this sound like the right kit to rent? :

Nikkor 500mm f/4 AF-S
    Nikkor 1.7x or 1.4x teleconverter if needed
    Gimbal head for my Gitzo

I have a D700 and will rent or buy the battery grip to up my frame rate, stamina.

I will be about 70-150 ft from the break, not exactly sure yet. I would rent the 600mm but it's another 100 bucks and this is, like most things in life, "just for fun".

Just thinking out loud, but if HE wants photos of himself in action and you "just shoot for fun", then why doesn't he rent the equipment? Or at least go half with him and get the 600mm? thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Just thinking out loud, but if HE wants photos of himself in action and you "just shoot for fun", then why doesn't he rent the equipment? Or at least go half with him and get the 600mm? thumb.gif

Well, yes, that would be the idea, only we both just laid down recently for a variety of boys' toys, including surfboards, Leicas and other frivolity :ivar Trying to do this and make it work on not too much money, regardless of who's paying.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Well, yes, that would be the idea, only we both just laid down recently for a variety of boys' toys, including surfboards, Leicas and other frivolity :ivar Trying to do this and make it work on not too much money, regardless of who's paying.

Ah, I see. Can't help you then.....I don't speak Nikon. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    I'd suggest just going for the 600mm and scrapping the TC's. All things considered, it'll be less than a 20% increase in the rental costs - and it will save you the "wonder what the better one would look like" stress. :D

I can't wait to see some of the shots from this D700 + super-tele combo. thumb.gif
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Hmm the flexibility of the TC may be worth that route since you haven't shot the site

my .02
    Rags
  • Options
    ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Hmm the flexibility of the TC may be worth that route since you haven't shot the site

my .02

I agree. If you don't know where you're shooting from and the surf really is 15ft like the predictions say, you might need all the zoom you can get. Seems like when the surf is big (for socal) you have to get higher up to see over the inside to where the surfers are on the outside. So you're even farther from the break.

I don't know whether you need a gimbal head though. I don't have one and I take surf pictures every day for fun (then again all I have is a measly 80-400 zoom, or a 300 with a 1.4 tc on my D700 and a monopod).

There's a chance of weather coming with the swell, might want to get a cover, in case of rain, for all that fine gear.
    Anna
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    I'd suggest just going for the 600mm and scrapping the TC's. All things considered, it'll be less than a 20% increase in the rental costs - and it will save you the "wonder what the better one would look like" stress. :D

I can't wait to see some of the shots from this D700 + super-tele combo. thumb.gif
    These were taken with a D700
    Nikon 600mm F4.0 w/ 1.4 TC
    1)
    1/1250, F5.6, ISO 800,
    683265162_tAf2G-L-1.jpg

2)
    1/1250, F5.6, ISO 640
    683265368_mKiYz-L-1.jpg

3)
    1/1000, f5.6, ISO 450
    683887071_dcQR7-L.jpg
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    I forgot to mention something else about the large lenses.

You have a lack of agility, at least I did with my 200/400. You will be swinging to & fro to catch someone getting on a crest. It's tiring and you miss a lot. Because of that I rarely use a tripod (I know,, I know my pix show it)

A couple of suggestions, wait for the tide to be going low; the walls are purportedly straighter (?). Also consider using manual focus when the surfer is covered by spritzel (I lose AF in low light, like fog)

I use a cheap, lightweight Tammy 200/500 which is not good in low light. In fog I use a 300 2.8 w 1.4

Tammy @ 500 w FX, blown face but the water is nice
    726175362_QmUcJ-L.jpg
    450mm
    708992446_8FPyS-L-1.jpg

Things are shaping up for Mavericks in the next couple of days

good shooting
    Rags
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    MJRPHOTO wrote:
    These were taken with a D700
    Nikon 600mm F4.0 w/ 1.4 TC
    1)
    1/1250, F5.6, ISO 800

Thanks for sharing - These are nice! BTW, you have a ridiculous lens/body collection. eek7.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    Thanks all, you're probably right about just staying on a monopod, which I have.
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Thanks all, you're probably right about just staying on a monopod, which I have.
    I would not use a monopod with a 500. You will not be happy at the end of the day.
    Anything over a 300 I recommend a tripod with a wimberley head.

404536.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404536-REG/Wimberley_WH_200_Gimbal_Type_Tripod_Head.html

You will not miss any shots with this setup.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 7, 2009
    You say you're only 70-150' from the action? A 600mm seems like overkill. A better combination would be a 300 and a TC for the long stuff -- the 1.4 and 300 isn't a bad combo (not that you want to change lenses on the beach mind you :)).

If you're constantly moving, a monopod is the way to go. Learning to use it with a large lens takes a bit of effort but it is easier to use on the go.

I don't know if you're familiar with Steamer's but this is toward middle peak with a 500.

26374285_moAae-L.jpg

This is a 300 shooting from the cliff straight down...

34828897_WU34j-L.jpg

From the cliff down is maybe 50' at most. Out towards middle is maybe 150 yards.

Shots with the 300 are mostly hand held -- the 500, monopod. Is a tripod necessary? No. Would it be nice if you're shooting from the same place all day? Yes.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Rent a 600mm that is what I and everyone else use at the US Open in HB. Or another idea if you want to get creative here is a place in Cali that sells and rents housings. http://www.splwaterhousings.com/

Great shots everyone..

Good Luck..
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Thanks all. Hey Ian—I'm being vague on the distance because we're not sure exactly where we're gonna be and how much further out the break is gonna be. but I Can see the 300 + TC might work. I won't be at any competition-grade surf spot so it's a little more difficult to tell at this point. Worse, is that I may not be able to rent in time, once we know that the surf is gonna be what it's reputed to be. A 300, however, will be easier to acquire in short notice, if indeed I'm good to go.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 7, 2009
    It's always a tough call what to bring. If I'm unsure, I'll often take the 300 + TC. Almost always safe with that combo on a good day.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    It's always a tough call what to bring. If I'm unsure, I'll often take the 300 + TC. Almost always safe with that combo on a good day.

At least you won't overshoot with that.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Reading over these again, I appreciate very much your expertise. I think due to the weather and the uncertainty, this particular event is scrapped for now, but I will surely call upon it in the future. I love this place. The SoCal-based waterproof housing company was a great link—thanks!

xoxoxo