Please Save Me!!

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited December 7, 2009 in People
Hey all i had a photoshoot a week ago and although every person posed correctly (11 people) the family shoots came out horriable in regards to the lighting (i've also been trying to clone in the rest of the stupid backdrop) can someone correct these or give me an idea of how to correct them? please save me!!
Thanks a bunch:bow
DSC00388.jpg
DSC00314.jpg
Courtney

Comments

• goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    anyone???bowdown.gif
    Courtney
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    I don't know what resources you have access to, or how familiar you are with the ones you have, but if all else fails I'd use PhotoShop to isolate the group from the background, which I'd then fade to white (or whatever). If I get some time, I'll try it with one of those you posted here!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I don't know what resources you have access to, or how familiar you are with the ones you have, but if all else fails I'd use PhotoShop to isolate the group from the background, which I'd then fade to white (or whatever). If I get some time, I'll try it with one of those you posted here!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    Awesome ! yes I use CS4
    thank you
    Court
    Courtney
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Hi there.

I'm not going to be too much of a help, but 2 questions:

1. Are those paying clients?
    2. Could you do an outdoor reshoot with them?

I'm sure finding a good date for 11 people, or 6 adults would not be easy and I'm also sure it would not be your first choice if they were actually paying clients, ... and not your family ...

I'd say saving your pics will be a tough one! There is a lot that would need to be done :cry and I would just ask them if they would mind to pose again.

IF they would be ok with a reshoot, I'd take them outside. After years of shooting, I do not accept to shoot any clients at my home, mostly because it requires a big backdrop, some light and other mobiliar that I just don't have. Shooting outside will cut your problems into half, then you just need to worry about the posing & lighting. But def. don't book any clients for a "studio" shoot if you don't have all the required necessities deal.gif ... my 2 cents thumb.gif
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Hi there.

I'm not going to be too much of a help, but 2 questions:

1. Are those paying clients?
    2. Could you do an outdoor reshoot with them?

I'm sure finding a good date for 11 people, or 6 adults would not be easy and I'm also sure it would not be your first choice if they were actually paying clients, ... and not your family ...

I'd say saving your pics will be a tough one! There is a lot that would need to be done :cry and I would just ask them if they would mind to pose again.

IF they would be ok with a reshoot, I'd take them outside. After years of shooting, I do not accept to shoot any clients at my home, mostly because it requires a big backdrop, some light and other mobiliar that I just don't have. Shooting outside will cut your problems into half, then you just need to worry about the posing & lighting. But def. don't book any clients for a "studio" shoot if you don't have all the required necessities deal.gif ... my 2 cents thumb.gif

I completely agree with this. I believe reshoot, if possible is pretty much the only way to go, that is if your intention is to deliver them a great product (assuming clients?). Your problem is not only in the backdrop, the lighting needs a major fix and I am not sure how much Photoshop can help you here. PS will certainly improve the pictures but by how much remains to be seen until after some experimentation.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited December 4, 2009
    A reshoot is completly out of the question. One of the husband/wife couple lives in another country and was just here for Thanksgiving.. I'm doing my best working w/ PS... I'll post what I come up with..
    I totally agree w/ you about only doing outdoor photos however the only time the whole family could get together was after 5..after 5 here its dark.
    Courtney
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    732009210_TXS4G-M.jpg

732009204_MaVPB-M.jpg

I played with them briefly: increased saturation, sharpness and brightness; decreased highlights; shifted white balance. I am not experienced at PP: I use trial and error as my main technique.
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    I guess, with A LOT of work you might be able to somewhat salvage #1. I didn't try to touch #2 but did a little messing around on #1 trying to retouch and clone out a lot of the background and soften it up and it somewhat worked. Keeping any sharpness around their heads and hair while processing this much is going to be tricky though.

Good luck. Here's me just messing around....this is by no means a final edit or something I'm proud of....just shows what kind of transformation is possible with some work. THe light coming from the left is almost impossible to deal with. I suppose you could try to take some yellow out of it. This edit took me about 4 minutes.
    edited December 5, 2009
    edited December 5, 2009
    edited December 5, 2009
    headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifscratch
    edited December 5, 2009
    I hope no one bashes these 3 minute attempts/edits.....I know there are a ton of flaws, just seeing what might be possible. GOod luck in trying to save these goldilocks.....
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Here they are. Spent half and hour to improve the backdrop and the lighting for you. Obviously still not perfect:

1.jpg

2.jpg
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Those 2 look a lot better! If they are paying customers----since you can't resched....I'd definately refund them. I'd print what was proposed in those last 2 posts...see how they print up and then see if they like them. This is just me but I'd just offer a free shoot the next time they are home for Thanksgiving.
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    i think nikonic did a great job with the background and the last post did great on the lighting fixes!!! Laughing.gif...

THe black and whites look pretty good.....
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
    edited December 5, 2009
    BriShay wrote:
    i think nikonic did a great job with the background and the last post did great on the lighting fixes!!! Laughing.gif...

THe black and whites look pretty good.....

:D The lighting in nightpixels' attempts is much nicer. Take those and do a bit more fudging with the background and you're sort of getting somewhere. I tried to soften out the whole background to remove the crazy/too random wrinkles in it.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Sorry but all the Photoshopping in the world won't save these. They're not even in focus and that's just the beginning. This requires a reshoot. If they paid you money, give it back.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Sorry but all the Photoshopping in the world won't save these. They're not even in focus and that's just the beginning. This requires a reshoot. If they paid you money, give it back.

I have to agree with this sentiment and the other similar ones.....

If it were me......I'd offer a reshoot AND a refund for the sitting fee.

You have to ask youself even IF it could be somehow salvaged......is THIS the image I want passed around to prospective future clients? All of my work comes by word of mouth and reputation, and this would never see the light of day.ne_nau.gif
    edited December 5, 2009
    Thank you all for your input and to those who helped PS them thanks a bunch!!
    here is my PS work on them..
    7-1.jpg

13.jpg
    Courtney
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Yeah, these are pretty tough.

I think the only chance to get anything out of them is B&W, and even then....
    I gave it shot, but I'm not happy with what I came up with.

I'll give you my one tip for portraits that I use: Leave room for cropping.
    The pros used to use a 4 megapixel camera and come up with great 8X10's.
    I have a 21 megapixel camera, I can throw away a few pixels if I need to.
    If there was a little more room around the group, it would have helped.
    And instead of the curtain, the plain wall would have served as a better back drop.

Just to get it this far took a ton of work.
    1) Straighten the shot.
    2) add onto the right side and top for cropping purpose.
    3) use gradient map to convert to B&W, merge visible.
    4) Duplicate layer
    5) run Topaz adjust on top layer
    6) add a layer mask on top layer and remove the faces, letting lower layer come though
    7) adjust layer slider to where I like blend.
    8) add the vignetting.

This doesn't include the little changes in sharpening, dodging and burning, etc.

Good luck.

Anyway.
    732232392_zxGsS-O.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited December 5, 2009
    davev wrote:
    Yeah, these are pretty tough.

I think the only chance to get anything out of them is B&W, and even then....
    I gave it shot, but I'm not happy with what I came up with.

I'll give you my one tip for portraits that I use: Leave room for cropping.
    The pros used to use a 4 megapixel camera and come up with great 8X10's.
    I have a 21 megapixel camera, I can throw away a few pixels if I need to.
    If there was a little more room around the group, it would have helped.
    And instead of the curtain, the plain wall would have served as a better back drop.

Just to get it this far took a ton of work.
    1) Straighten the shot.
    2) add onto the right side and top for cropping purpose.
    3) use gradient map to convert to B&W, merge visible.
    4) Duplicate layer
    5) run Topaz adjust on top layer
    6) add a layer mask on top layer and remove the faces, letting lower layer come though
    7) adjust layer slider to where I like blend.
    8) add the vignetting.

This doesn't include the little changes in sharpening, dodging and burning, etc.

Good luck.

Anyway.
    732232392_zxGsS-O.jpg
    thank you dave!
    Courtney
    edited December 5, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    :D The lighting in nightpixels' attempts is much nicer. Take those and do a bit more fudging with the background and you're sort of getting somewhere. I tried to soften out the whole background to remove the crazy/too random wrinkles in it.

The background job is very well done IMO!!!
    Shayna
  • Luke1971Luke1971 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2009
    I have been lurking on here, and came across your post. I thought i would register, and see if maybe I could help. As someone mentioned before, the lighting is very uneven. I used a contrast mask in Gimp to see if I could even it out a little. Then i used a gaussian blur over the whole image and added a layer mask. I painted the group back in, and left the blurred background. I turned the group in to a selection, and feathered it at about 7 pix. A little bit of sharpening, and it was done. I spent about 20 minutes on this, so it could have been a lot better.
    Regards, Luke
  • cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Thank you all for your input and to those who helped PS them thanks a bunch!!
    here is my PS work on them..
    7-1.jpg

13.jpg

Even before seeing the "before photoshop" pictures, these just don't' seem right. My eye goes right past the people to the totally distracting background, there is actually a line at the top going through a few of their heads. I'd say, personally, since you have to work with what you've got, is use a layer mask and get rid of the background completely, fill the background with a solid color, render it with "clouds" and put some mean and might blur on top of the clouds, that will mimic a backdrop. The render lighting to try and compliment the way the people are lit. Applying the mask is what will take the most time to make sure they don't look like they've been cut out with scissors, to do this correctly you'll need to taper around each line, and make the transition gradual, and look natural to give them a 3d look.
    edited December 6, 2009
    love what you did with the BG luke!
    Shayna
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    REALLY nice b/g Luke! I agree 100% that the bg is very distracting. Especially so in the photo of the adults where the horozontal line is very distracting and dominant. Luke's (or Davev's) solution is the best that can be hoped for!
    edited December 6, 2009
    Here is the second of the set. It looks like you had some mixed lighting going on in these pics. To me, the color will be the hardest thing to fix.
    I won't go in to all I did with this image, as it took quite a bit of work, and I am still not happy with it. Just wanted to show you that if you have no other option for a reshoot, these can be salvaged.
    edited December 6, 2009
    Luke1971 wrote:
    I have been lurking on here, and came across your post. I thought i would register, and see if maybe I could help. As someone mentioned before, the lighting is very uneven. I used a contrast mask in Gimp to see if I could even it out a little. Then i used a gaussian blur over the whole image and added a layer mask. I painted the group back in, and left the blurred background. I turned the group in to a selection, and feathered it at about 7 pix. A little bit of sharpening, and it was done. I spent about 20 minutes on this, so it could have been a lot better.
    Regards, Luke
    Thank you Luke for taking the time to work on it.I like what you did w/ the background!!thumb.gif I'm glad to see my horriable pictures finally made you join digitalgrin mwink.gif
    Courtney
  • woytekwoytek Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Hey all i had a photoshoot a week ago and although every person posed correctly (11 people) the family shoots came out horriable in regards to the lighting (i've also been trying to clone in the rest of the stupid backdrop) can someone correct these or give me an idea of how to correct them? please save me!!
    Thanks a bunchbowdown.gif

A background fix idea: If you are somewhat committed to the background (it seems as you are, as several people have suggested getting rid of it entirely in favor of a possibly-desaturated solid background), take another shot with just the background filling the frame and oriented in a way that you avoid the strange-looking pleats. In Photoshop, cut-out the people and replace the background behind them. You could even take this time to do something creative with the background lighting.

Several other people already came up with some good fixes for the lighting color balance problems. Personally, I think the only reasonable ways to go would be with the creative desaturation or going to B&W.

jonathan
    edited December 7, 2009
    Thank you Luke for taking the time to work on it.I like what you did w/ the background!!thumb.gif I'm glad to see my horriable pictures finally made you join digitalgrin mwink.gif

You are very welcome. I didn't think they were horrible! You should see some of mine! They are usually badly underexposed. lol! This seems like a nice place, with some friendly folks!