First Snow of the Season...

CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited December 6, 2009 in People
I spent the early hours of the morning looking at other posts on here....got me quite inspired to do something today. Then the snow began--first of the Season for Northern VA. Shot the first set of them ogling the falling white stuff through the back window. Not quite sure I nailed the effect I wanted but any chance I had of perfecting it went out the backdoor with them as they layered up and headed out to the porch.

In a creative mood? Maybe. Willing to brave the cold, wet snow with them? Not so much. So aside from the window silhouettes I shot all of the following images through my back porch window. To add to the challenge of craning my lens around the window dividers, the snow was playing heck on the auto focus so all of this was done in manual, while the kids were sprinting from one spot to another. I admit to needing a lot more work using MF on fast moving subjects--I don't think I nailed the focus on a single one.

Focus issues aside, any C&C is more than welcome.

Oh...Happy to say I shot all of this in raw. I recently bought an iMac, but had to swap back to my Windows laptop to do all the PP (no editing software on my mac yet). I didn't do too much to the silhouette shots other than adjust the crop. On the outside shots, almost all had to have a little color tweaking. As this was done on my laptop, I'll just say I'm not sure how accurate/appealing the colors/skintones really are. Guess it's time to hop over to my Mac to see how they came out. :D

All but the one wide angle porch shot were done with a Canon 100mm Macro lens.

732382253_DmGeb-M-1.jpg

732382497_fjMK7-M-1.jpg

732382042_AnRvr-M-1.jpg

732384398_iWFtr-M-1.jpg

732385204_7NwqS-M-1.jpg

732385901_Un6tU-M-1.jpg

732386290_Ywb3d-M-1.jpg

732388244_nwHfG-M-1.jpg

732386971_zgvbp-M-1.jpg

732386687_rC49b-M-1.jpg

11. (with the 10-22mm....this was before the kids headed out...it's completely snow covered now....think we've gotten about 3.5 inches or so)
732383107_YB34F-M-1.jpg

12. (these are the trees you can see in the window on the silhouette shots above)
732383751_dnM9C-M-1.jpg

Brrr...

Cheers!

~jb
Justin Benson
CTU Photography

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    I like #3 best....clap.gif

A suggestion from me (since I have all the experience here shooting snow....rolleyes1.gif )....would be to up your shutter speed to freeze the snow. Giving you flakes instead of streaks. Not an easy task I know, but.....mwink.gif

...and you exposed the outside portion of those sillouettes just about right. A tiny bit of flash...with a warming gel would have really offered a different look......Outdoor coolness and indoor warmth.thumb.gif
  • Masonlaw1Masonlaw1 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Great shots! That's not Piedmont is it?
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Masonlaw1 wrote:
    Great shots! That's not Piedmont is it?
    Wow....good eye!nod.gif

~jb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I like #3 best....clap.gif

A suggestion from me (since I have all the experience here shooting snow....rolleyes1.gif )....would be to up your shutter speed to freeze the snow. Giving you flakes instead of streaks. Not an easy task I know, but.....mwink.gif

...and you exposed the outside portion of those sillouettes just about right. A tiny bit of flash...with a warming gel would have really offered a different look......Outdoor coolness and indoor warmth.thumb.gif

Thanks for the advice on the silhouette shots Jeff. Working with my flash is something I really need to do more of (along with a hundred other things:D ). I did try a couple of those same shots with my 420ex turned on---actually tried that first---but they came out completely blown out. Not sure what I had set wrong, especially considering I was ~25 feet away from them (had to move way back to fit them all in with the 100mm Macro I was using). Something to work on, for sure though. Thx!

~jb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    I think these are fun!

One thing you might want to try in post with the outdoor shots is to boost the contrast in them - right now they're a little flat. I think if you play around with white/black points on the other computer you may pull some more "pop" out of them.

Sadly, I didn't get to play in the snow yesterday as I got stuck having to be out on the road in it (child was away from home and I had to get her, way out in the countryside so it was BAD). We're a state or so north of you and got hit pretty bad, especially since it was kind of out of nowhere!
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    I love 3! Very cute idea!!! :D