Options

some macros with my 20D

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited August 2, 2005 in Holy Macro
This is all shot with a Tamron 70-300mm lens, and a Quantaray 2X telephoto extender.

The first ring is on-camera flash, second ring shot used the Cokin creative ring flash.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 20, 2005
    2nd ring...
    This is the Cokin Ring Flash Shot.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Hi Mainfragger,
    The ring flash made quite a difference. The colors are more accurate and not so many specular highlights. Spec highlights are usually the killer of good shots of jewelry and gemstones. For jewelry and the likes, a light tent makes a big difference also.

Now, let's see some macros with that flash.

Oh, and if you want to send me that ring, I'd be more than happy to test my flash with it for comparison:D.
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    Forgot to ask, how far away with the tele extender? A few feet? I've got one and need to take the time to try it.
    Thats clever Chris....rolleyes1.gif yeah, hey send me one too....
    Thanks for the comparison shots. I don't do much with flash and want a ring. I see in the B&H catalog, [man is it big!] they have a few different brands, a few I could afford. I might get one. My ping pong ball over the flashthumb.gif has to suffice for now,rolleyes1.gif
    Oh, and if you want to send me that ring, I'd be more than happy to test my flash with it for comparison:D.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    Telephoto distance..
    Netgarden wrote:
    Forgot to ask, how far away with the tele extender? A few feet? I've got one and need to take the time to try it.
    Thats clever Chris....rolleyes1.gif yeah, hey send me one too....
    Thanks for the comparison shots. I don't do much with flash and want a ring. I see in the B&H catalog, [man is it big!] they have a few different brands, a few I could afford. I might get one. My ping pong ball over the flashthumb.gif has to suffice for now,rolleyes1.gif
    I didn't measure exactly, but I'd say I was somewhere between 3 and 5 feet back. Some of the dof blur you see on it, MIGHT be me moving a hair too. I have a tripod, but I don't think its strong/stable enough to hold the Canon 20D with the tele lens and a 2X converter on it.

I want to find some gels for my flash or make some... I want to try an experiment with the cokin filters where you use opposing color filters on the lens and on the flash so that the subject comes out normal, but the background comes out the color of the lens filter.

MainFragger