Options

Vietnamese Wedding?

TNTATCTNTATC Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited December 8, 2009 in Weddings
I am contemplating shooting a coworkers wedding next July. The brides' side is Vietnamese so there will be both the traditional vietnamese wedding at her parents house and then a reception with a priest for there guests over 300 possible.
I have questions for anyone who has shot something like this. Besides being a foot taller than everyone I have a feeling it could be a tough crowd. Did I mention the brides family does not speak english.

I think it would be a fun experiance but could use any tips you got. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    I have shot several Vietnamese weddings but never a traditional .....which I presume is going to be a Buddhist Wedding.......really all you need is to meet the Monk that will perform the ceremony so he will not be surprised by you and the bride should supply you with an interpreter so when you are directing things she/he can help......

If you like Asian food there is usually a ton of it.....mind you all of the Vietnamese weddings I have done were Viet Baptist.....including the minister.............they were a ton of fun.....the minister was the interpreter for me.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    haha thanks yea I was planning on just using a lot of pointing and hand jestures to move people. The great thing about this kind of wedding is i'm expecting to see TONS of color which is great for shooting.

Funny you talk about food my coworker was telling me to look forward to chicken feet, squid and you name it. The Brides family owns a Chinese Buffet. I'm learning how to roll spring rolls :)
  • Options
    kiemkiem Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    The most important thing is after the ceremony, they want lots of family photos. Take lots of photos of the bride&groom with the groom's family, then with the bride's family, bride&groom with guests, sometimes a couple at a time. You'll spend quite some time taking photos there. You may want to meet up with your coworker for planning things out.

Also, if you're gonna be at the bride's house in the morning snapping the details, make sure you let her know. I dont think this is as important to them but they might be surprised having a photographer taking photos of the bride's preparation. Well, if the bride is Americanized, then dont worry about it. Again, communicate and let them what you'll do in advance.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    TNTATC wrote:
    I am contemplating shooting a coworkers wedding next July. The brides' side is Vietnamese so there will be both the traditional vietnamese wedding at her parents house and then a reception with a priest for there guests over 300 possible.
    I have questions for anyone who has shot something like this. Besides being a foot taller than everyone I have a feeling it could be a tough crowd. Did I mention the brides family does not speak english.

I think it would be a fun experiance but could use any tips you got. Thanks.

just make sure you have some one from the family who can speak english and vietnamese well who can round up folks, translate stuff (where to stand, explain schedules, what's good to eat lol, etc)
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    just make sure you have some one from the family who can speak english and vietnamese well who can round up folks, translate stuff (where to stand, explain schedules, what's good to eat lol, etc)

It's all good to eat! No need for translation there!

But yeah, look for some translators if you can. Ask the B+G, to set someone who knows both english and Viet. to do the pulling aside job, especially since you do not know Vietnamese. definitely prepare for some seriously colorful dresses! The bride, if in traditional garb, will be in a spiff Ao Dai. Those are some serious colors in there!

Will they be doing the traditional tea exchange?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com