Fade to purple

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited December 7, 2009 in Landscapes
Finally got a break in the weather long enough to do something with, so I took a day trip out to the coast. Couldn't resist the colors in this sunset shot from Ruby Beach, about 30 miles south of Forks - yes, that Forks, of "Twilight" fame... The Destruction Island lighthouse is visible in the distance. 5D, 24-135 @ 89mm, 1/4 sec @ f/13.

SunsetOverDestructionIslandsm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    I really like the simple composition here. So often I think we (or at least I) tend to write off sunsets without showy clouds - the simple gradiation of color here and the nearly silhouetted foreground work wonderfully. I also like how low the horizon is here - the rule of thirds is often one of the better ones to break (or at least significantly modify)!

Very nice!

Ken
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    kwalsh wrote:
    I really like the simple composition here. So often I think we (or at least I) tend to write off sunsets without showy clouds - the simple gradiation of color here and the nearly silhouetted foreground work wonderfully. I also like how low the horizon is here - the rule of thirds is often one of the better ones to break (or at least significantly modify)!

Very nice!

Ken

thanks... to me, in this composition, the color IS the picture, and the rocks and water are merely a way to anchor things and keep it from being a pure abstract. though come to think of it, cropping out the rocks and leaving just the graduated colors might be kind of a neat effect...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Beautiful Rocky!! The color is awesome!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95