D90 or D200?

warpig602warpig602 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in Cameras
Im rapidly outgrowing my D40x(not really hard to do I guess!) Im considering a new body and dont want to have to upgrade from the new body for a while as I would rather spend the money on new lenses. I would prefer to get a D300 but its about 300.00 out of my range. Any opinions on the D200 or D90? I've read the specs but wanted some real world advice.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 6, 2009
    warpig602 wrote:
    Im rapidly outgrowing my D40x(not really hard to do I guess!) Im considering a new body and dont want to have to upgrade from the new body for a while as I would rather spend the money on new lenses. I would prefer to get a D300 but its about 300.00 out of my range. Any opinions on the D200 or D90? I've read the specs but wanted some real world advice.

How would you be using the camera? What applications?

The more specific you can be with your description of usage the more we can help guide your choice.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • warpig602warpig602 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    How would you be using the camera? What applications?

The more specific you can be with your description of usage the more we can help guide your choice.

Definitely amateur shooting. I do wildlife so I would like something that has good AF speed. I also do a lot of street and portrait style pictures so I would also like something that can record the colors as close to perfect as possible(a friend with a D200 can take the exact same picture as me with the same lens and turn out better images without having to tweak the settings as much). I also want something with an internal AF motor to open up the range of AF lenses that will actually AF as opposed to having to do it manually. My biggest gripe with the D40 is the lack of custom settings available. I find myself switching from shooting my kids playing to a duck swooping into the water and I cant change the settings quickly enough so ideally i'd like my next purchase to have multiple custom setting or have quicker access to changing them. I am by no means a pro but I also dont want to limit myself to being an amateur forever.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    warpig602 wrote:
    Definitely amateur shooting. I do wildlife so I would like something that has good AF speed. I also do a lot of street and portrait style pictures so I would also like something that can record the colors as close to perfect as possible(a friend with a D200 can take the exact same picture as me with the same lens and turn out better images without having to tweak the settings as much). I also want something with an internal AF motor to open up the range of AF lenses that will actually AF as opposed to having to do it manually. My biggest gripe with the D40 is the lack of custom settings available. I find myself switching from shooting my kids playing to a duck swooping into the water and I cant change the settings quickly enough so ideally i'd like my next purchase to have multiple custom setting or have quicker access to changing them. I am by no means a pro but I also dont want to limit myself to being an amateur forever.

The D200 sensor is very similar if not the same as your D40x the difference would be in the output settings (in RAW you should be able to do shots that are really close).

The D90 is the next generation of sensor, you will get more resolution, better low light performance, plus built in dust reduction and even the movie mode.

The D200 offers you a better body, AF I am guessing is similar someone can come in and fill that in. But I have a D200 with a Fuji skin and love it so the body is great. You get more settings as actual dials, and then there is the toughness of the body. But I did have a D50 which took lots of abuse being banged around trails in Oaxaca and came out fine so the D90 level of Nikon is no ultra fragile body either.

Ok I will get off the rambling lol3.gif and do this short and sweet.

D200= stronger body, more controls on the menu (less going through menus), and you can meter with non-AF lenses.

D90= better resolution, better low light performance, built in sensor cleaning (really nice to have), and video mode.

If you need a more robust body go D200, but in most ways the D90 is superior.

Also I am not sure how you shoot so if you use scene modes they are not on the D200, it is just P,S,A,M.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 9, 2009
    I don't have a D90 nor have I ever used one. I do however have a D200. The D200 was an upgrade from a D40X. There are more controls as dials and buttons than are on the D40X. The 40X has most of the controls within the menu screens.
    The D200 is known for it's "not so great performance" at higher
    (above 400) ISO settings. I think the D90 would do a better job in that area.
    I bought my D200 from Best Buy when they were dumping them at $599. I couldn't get close to a D90 for that price. It's over $800 at Adorama Camera right now.
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    I have a D90 and love it. I use it for semi-pro shooting. In terms of the type of shooting you mentioned, I shoot high school marching band competitions as well as hs football games and wildlife with it. I can't show the pics from the marching band, but as far as the others, I've included some in the slideshow of my galleries here on Smugmug. The camera has alot of commands available without going into the menus and the low light performance is very good.
    You can look at my images if you need some examples
    http://www.djdimages.com/Music

One of the galleries is from a bar at a CD release party using the 50mm f1.8d lens exclusively. The other gallery is from a Nine Inch Nails concert in New Jersey from the back of the arena using a 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR lens.

I think the D90 is far superior to the D200 as I've seen the noise level in the D300 and I believe the D90 has superior performance to the D300 in low-light.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I went from a D40x to the D90 and couldn't be happier. I loved the D40x to get my feet wet in digital, but it was time to move on.

My primary reasons for a move were:
    1) lack of an internal focus motor for my older lens
    2) three vs eleven focus points for greater control
    3) upgraded sensor in the D90
    4) slight increase in MP from 10-12
    5) increase in continuous shooting mode fps
    6) ability to automatically bracket exposures either side of metered
    7) better color saturation
    8) live view mode

I haven't configured any presets, but I can't speak enough about the virtues of the higher ISO/low noise capabilities. It just rocks.

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I bought a D200 for my wife to use (to keep her away from my other bodies). It's really a capable camera with good autofocus and great build quality. I'm sure the AF system and build is more robust than the D90.

If I were in your shoes, I'd save my pennies and buy a lightly used D300. They are out there around $1,000 since the D300s has been released.
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I reread this thread, and I didn't see you mention what you'll be using the body for.

I just shot a Rutgers basketball game last night, and the night before. My 17-55 f/2.8 was on my D200, and the 70-200 f/2.8 was on my D90. In the same exact area, I was shooting ISO 1600 on the D200, and ISO 800 on the D90. Then again, I missed a shot with the D90 because of the 4.5fps limitation, where the 6fps on the D200 saved my a** a few times.

If you are shooting sports professionally, or just want to shoot sports well as a "hobby", then save for the D300, because it has the same sensor as the D90, with the FPS and focus abilities of the D200.

If you just want an excellent body, without the focus on sports/etc., get the D90 and enjoy one of the more powerful cameras Nikon has let loose! The only time I've hit a wall with my D90 is when I'm shooting pro sports, and I feel like I would appreciate the bigger buffer, higher FPS, and better focusing. For EVERYTHING else, the D90 far outpaces what I need it to do!

Hope this helps!
    ~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Save for the D300
    I bought a D90 a few weeks ago to replace my D100. I am doing more available like portrait work and needed the better sensor. My goal is to make enough to buy the D300 this summer and use the D90 as a backup body. The D90 is a very capable camera, but does not have the same feel as the D100 or D300. As other posters have noted, it also does not have some of the D300's features and build quality. If you plan to have only one camera body and you need it to perform in a wide range of situations, I would recommend buying a good used D300 or saving the extra money for a new one.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 14, 2009
    Caspian wrote:
    I bought a D90 a few weeks ago to replace my D100. I am doing more available like portrait work and needed the better sensor. My goal is to make enough to buy the D300 this summer and use the D90 as a backup body. The D90 is a very capable camera, but does not have the same feel as the D100 or D300. As other posters have noted, it also does not have some of the D300's features and build quality. If you plan to have only one camera body and you need it to perform in a wide range of situations, I would recommend buying a good used D300 or saving the extra money for a new one.

Caspian, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Congratulations on the D90 and thanks for your thoughts.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Caspian, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Congratulations on the D90 and thanks for your thoughts.
    Thank you. I can't believe that I have just found you all. I have really enjoyed the D90 and it saved a couple portrait sessions that I would have lost with the D100 because of the light. The balanced fill flash is also amazing. But, the shutter is louder than the D100 and the view finder is not a friendly for glasses. I am looking forward to the D300 and the D90 will be a great backup body.