Uploader shows transfer is ok, but files do not upload

chrisb321chrisb321 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited December 6, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Over the last few months I have seen problems with the main smugmug uploader, but not to the extent I have seen this weekend.

I tried to upload 53 jpg files to a folder.
The uploader adds them correct and it looks like they are uploading. 50 uploaded and I had 3 errors.
When I go to look at the folder, no files have transfered. I've tried this twice using Firefox and Internet Explorer. Same result.

The strange thing is the uploader shows the files uploading too quick. It says my data is transfering around 5-6 Mb/s. This is not possible as my upload speed (uverse) is 1Mb/s.

Why does the uploader say the files have transfered when they haven't?

I then decided to try the third party desktop application as shown on Smugmugs upload page.

That sort of worked....
All jpgs under 12meg uploaded, all over 12 meg (up to 21 meg) failed to upload.
Is there a size limit?

Comments

• Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Yes, the limit is 12 meg except on Pro accounts where the limit is 24meg.

chrisb321 wrote:
    That sort of worked....
    All jpgs under 12meg uploaded, all over 12 meg (up to 21 meg) failed to upload.
    Is there a size limit?
  • chrisb321chrisb321 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:
    Yes, the limit is 12 meg except on Pro accounts where the limit is 24meg.

Thanks Dan. Is that a limit of the desktop loader or smugmug in general? My new 7D pumps out some big files, i'll have to lower the output from Lightroom

I'm still confused why the normal uploader shows the files transferred (right from 5meg up to 22meg) but none of them actually do transfer.
    edited December 6, 2009
    It's a SmugMug limit, you need a Pro account to store images over 12meg on your SmugMug site. It's not an uploader limit.
    chrisb321 wrote:
    Thanks Dan. Is that a limit of the desktop loader or smugmug in general? My new 7D pumps out some big files, i'll have to lower the output from Lightroom

I'm still confused why the normal uploader shows the files transferred (right from 5meg up to 22meg) but none of them actually do transfer.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited December 6, 2009
  • chrisb321chrisb321 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Thanks for the file size information.

Does anyone know the answer to my original problem?

The main uploader shows files transfering (both under the file limit and over). It shows them transferring at 5x my maximum upload speed.
    But in reality, they are not transferring.

With the information I now have about file sizes, wouldn't it make sense for the uploader not to let you add files bigger than the maximum instead of showing them transferring correctly?
    edited December 6, 2009
    I don't think the uploader can tell what kind of account you have. Also when you upload video it might be larger than 12 or 24 mb and I don't think the uploader understands what kind of file it is uploading. And to top it off if you also have SmugVault, which the uploader wouldn't know either there is no limit to what you can up load to your vault... but the images that can appear on your site would still be limited to 12 or 24 MB depending on your account type.

Guess that's why it's the simple uploader...
    chrisb321 wrote:
    wouldn't it make sense for the uploader not to let you add files bigger than the maximum instead of showing them transferring correctly?