Newborn shots...Floating on a cloud!

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited December 9, 2009 in People
Okay...just going back through a few pictures. I'm doing a book for his first birthday (with MyCanvas) and I'm having some fun in PP. I had ZERO time when I took these and am only getting back to them now...10 months later!

These were taken at 5 days to 1 week old. B/G treatment was fun. I didn't do much other than use smuge tool on the #66 feather/grass setting. I also desaturated them to give thim a dreamier look. Personally I liked the outcome...kinda like he's the newborn coming down on a cloud from the sky. Let me know what you think!

All natural light...

Desatclouds.jpg

desatversion3_edited-1.jpg

Clouds2_desatfavbook-1.jpg

FAVORITEdesatoncloud.jpg

Favoritenewbornonblackbackground_ed.jpg

BWnewborn_edited-1.jpg

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Seriously.... NO comments? headscratch.gif I know I've probabally come a long way since I took these 10 months ago... but with my new "eye" that I've developed I kinda liked the feel of them and was pretty darned pleased to find them upon searching my libary for shots for his book. Even if they were taken with a PS and not a dSLR..The natural light added to the softness and cloudlike touchability of a newborn's soft body. Just curious what your thoughts were on these....not demanding comments, just would have appreciated a few...or..um.....ONE eek7.gif
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    I hadn't seen this post until now, so I completely missed it.

I love number 1,2 and 4! Those are my favourite because the light seems soft, and the shots look almost angelic. Number 5 though looks to be out of focus in part of the image, might be my eyes though. I might of taken off the prison wrist strap too Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif (Just kidding).

It might be my monitor, but the last one seems a bit hot in some spots, almost blown out a bit.

Ah well, those are the comments from the lunatic (me). Overall, good job, and love the high key stuff! thumb.gif

Take care,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    I like the poses and the light. I'm not too crazy about the background though. What is it? Did you do any blurring on it? Not sure what it is, but it's hard to see 'what it is', almost gives me a 3D feeling in some of the shots. I quite like #2 and #3, it almost seems like he is looking and picking at something :D
    edited December 8, 2009
    Thanks Joe and Ivar for taking the time to comment! :D Joe, I was exactly shooting for the angelic feel so I'm glad you got that. This is what I love about natural light. I find the shadows and feel of the photo just so blissful and dreamy. Yes Ivar...this background is my own bizzare creation. I know it isn't for everyone but I really enjoyed doing this. Perhaps I will create my "trademark" look someday doing a shot like this per session. No real blurring per se...Bascially it is just a satin blanket that reflected the light very well so had some darker and lighter highlights on it. I just ran it over with the smudge brush on the feather setting (#66 in PSE) at a fairly large brush size (#100). The shadows in on the blanket created the greyish cloud-like 3d feel. In the one with the baby in the sleeper outfit, it created a blue cloud vs the greyish one because it was a blue blanket. Easy peesy and really gave the photo the distinctive edge I was looking for. Thanks again guys.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    I really love #4. So tiny. I also like #2. I checked out the photos before reading the prose. Very impressed that you created the texture in PS. Good job on that. My first thought was, "Wow... that's a lot of cotton!". :D
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited December 9, 2009
    Thank you anonymouscuban! :) I'm glad you liked my effect. Funny about the cotton!!!
  • laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Great shots, nothing beats natural light! The only thing I would do is maybe blur or clone out the patches of dry skin on his back in the first three. #4 is my favorite clap.gif