them changes - Ruby Beach, WA

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited December 7, 2009 in Landscapes
for those of you familiar with Ruby Beach, here's a photo taken yesterday afternoon... there have been some heavy-duty changes in the landscape out there. apparently a storm rearranged the beach. where there was a gravel ridge that acted as a dam to form a deep pond in the stream, and the beach above the high-tide line used to be littered with driftwood, there's now just a very flat, shallow slope toward the water, and most of the driftwood is either upstream in the creek, or washed away completely. just off to the right, out of the photo, the gravel slope is more or less intact, and most of the driftwood is still there, but from the south side of the stream north to the rocks, everything's different. you can't get across the stream to the rocks now unless you either have waders or are willing to get wet - the stream looked about a foot deep, maybe more - though you might be able to cross farther out on the beach at low tide...

here are a couple of older shots, showing how the beach used to look...

IMG_6493sm.jpg.

P1040629sm.jpg

and here's the new version... Ruby 2.0...

rubypanosm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Wow! That must've been quite a shock to see the change. I'm glad you included the before shots and the explanation--very interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    the ruby 2.0 must be the strongest one in this set. the colors of the trees in there plus the leading lines made by that small stream in there really works well. Just one small comment, I'd love to see more of the upper part of that hill and less of the foreground land.
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    GORIO wrote:
    the ruby 2.0 must be the strongest one in this set. the colors of the trees in there plus the leading lines made by that small stream in there really works well. Just one small comment, I'd love to see more of the upper part of that hill and less of the foreground land.

yeah, this set was more a documentary, to show the changes than anything else... wasn't too worried about the perfect composition or colors. i left a lot of foreground because that's what changed... the hills behind are the same a always.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • R1200mikeR1200mike Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Ruby Beach
    WOW, I was there Christmas 2007 and I took a picture from the same spot as you.(2nd shot) I had alot of fog in mine though. I will be back up in the area in March when I return from Iraq.